Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 17-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Just a suggestion James but why not take them out the night before...let them slowly adjust to night time temps then carry on as you were the next day.

This is what I'm going to do with my ones that are boxed up
Old 17-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Kirkie
Adult

I'm with Bindi James, perhaps you could turn the fridge off the evening before, wedge the fridge door open a little. The temps in the fridge will gradually get up to room temperature by morning. Make sure the tortoises cant get wet if you do this, you do get drips when you switch a fridge off.

Bindi,

Interesting about the greenhouse. I think it has something to do with infra red radiation, the way the earth stores and releases it, the "greenhouse" effect of the greenhouse and the lack of a wind chill factor in a greenhouse. I must get me a greenhouse at some point
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

It's 29 degrees in there at the moment - it's not, but there is a hotspot where the thermometer is that is - if you get me
Old 17-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
jamestaylor18
Hatched

Bindi what a dam good idea! I think ill take them out the night before and pop em in the viv overnight then just put the uv strip on till lunchtime then the spot on after that! I love it when a plan come together!! x
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
TortBabe
Adult

Great thread, when I'm due to bring Willow out shall turn his fridge off in the evening and let him gradually heat up to room temperature
Old 21-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
Kirkie
Adult

Please make sure the fridge door is open if you do try this. It isn't something I've tried, lots of people leave tortoises overnight to warm up from hibernation but would it be preferable to start this in the morning so you can keep an eye on things?
Old 22-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
TortBabe
Adult

Thats a good point Kirkie If I take him out of the fridge at 8am, how long would you recommend leaving him to warm up before bathing?
Old 23-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #18
Kirkie
Adult

Well, It varies. I used to take them out of the fridge, keep them in their hibernation boxes in a room in the house and as they come round, poke their heads out or start moving, place them in their table. Not under the heat lamp, out of range. Usually they'll walk to it if all is well. Allow them to bask for as long as they need to become active, them offer them a shallow bath. Warming up is the most important thing to them.

Some come round really quickly, some take a while. Dont be suprised if after they've basked and bathed they retire to a cool spot for the rest of the day.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
TortBabe
Adult

Thank you