Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #21
Kirkie
Adult

Hello John,

I am interested in these so could you perhaps link to a suitable starter unit? All mine appear to be T8, both arcadia and exo terra dual units.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Yeah yeah ok, but the tubes are evolving

I said the tubes are EVOLVING

Next time I'll leave the blooming threads alone
During the war we used to keep geckos by candlelight down in the tube station shelters during the blitz.

This could be an important development in regard to the intensity and duration of UVB exposure so thankyou for splitting the subject.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Next time I'll leave the blooming threads alone
you're a star bind, that other thread was about something else anyway
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #24
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Nice one Bind's, thank's for the info John.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #25
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

We make four different control units, one will run a single 24watt or 39 watt tube, another does the 54watt, we then replicate this in a twin unit, I.E running two lamps from one ballast. The use of T5 reflectors triples the lux reading and of course focuses the u.v onto the animal. These lamps like all Arcadia products have been on independent test for over a year, this is one of the ways we invest in product to make sure it is the best possible for our animals.

One of the experiments envolved uromystix lizards, we would place a juv lizard for 30 mins under T8 and monitor, then the animal rested and then placed under the T5, in every case the animal was within mins more active, displaying and feeding well, it is a marked benefit and visible results.

As you can tell as a reptile keeper of over 30 years I am not only proud to offer the product but excited to see our hobby progress and our animals husbandry improved,

We have a very long way to go, but we are getting there,

j
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm not saying this isn't a good product but isn't this thread really just a free ad? I can see that some of us are positively drooling with excitement at the thought of these evolutionary new lights. But get a grip folks! John is plugging his kit like any self respecting reptile lamp manufacturer/wholesaler. Of course its the best thing since sliced mercury vapour!!

Were some us not just a tad fretting about excess UVB bombardment just a wee while ago? Yes we were. And these mothers are gonna do that very same bombardment over a wider area and with greater intensity! John's lizard was jumping about like crazy 'cos it was trying to find the exit! And the feeding was the poor blighter trying to eat his way out of the enlosure to get away from all that UVB!

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 02-02-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
indian star
Incubating

ye of little faith or is it cos your scotish and tight with ya money hamish!!!!!!!!!!!!!
indian star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #28
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm not being totally serious but I do suspect a little hype here all the same.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #29
Kirkie
Adult

They interest me for the exact reason of UVB saturation. I have the space in my indoor setups to accomodate a tube that produces what I would class as low level UVB exposure and still allow both a UVB hotspot and areas of retreat from UVB exposure. The idea of a UV gradient, similar to the temperarure gradient, is one that is gaining momentum. I would expect the UV pattern of this tube to follow those of my existing tubes, creating a gradient from the centre. If its possible to create an equivilent temperature gradient following the lengthof the tube you give the animal an almost natural choice of temperature and UV range.

I'm able to do this for aquatic turtles using a combination of flourescents, spot bulbs and external heat mats to create an air and water temperature and UV gradient, I'm working on a way to replicate
this for the landlubbers.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

There is not just that bulb either, there is a 6% one too if less UVB is required. It is a free ad but is there a difference between that and Darren coming on to say the new Megaray is available and is much better than previous bulbs? I wouldn't mind if I was able to find out about all new tortoise products in this section. Frances Baines tested the MV Arcadias for a year before going on sale, I presume she has tested these as well. I will wait to see what uvguide says but the site was meant to be back in action by Nov 2010 but still not done yet
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote