Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 25-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
jodie
Hatched

Default Faulty Thermometer?

Hi all

I have a "Lucky reptile thermometer deluxe" and thought that it was great but have noticed recently that the clock on it runs slow, could this possibly be a fault that would effect temperature reading aswell?? as i use the thermometer to read the temps under the basking light and in the hide!

I do apologise as i feel that i am permanently asking questions on sw at the moment (Facebook...... whats facebook)!!! It is just that whenever i have a query of worry i am on to sw searching for the topic or picking at a few of your brains! You all have such a wealth of knowledge that this site could possibly be the bible of chelonians!!!

Jodie
jodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Jodie,

Best way to test the accuracy of a probe thermometer is this:

Get some ice, put it in a glass. Add enough water to just cover the ice and leave it for 20 minutes. Put the probe into the water, the readout should read 0 centigrade. If it doesn't, thats how far out your thermomenter is.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodie View Post
Hi all

I have a "Lucky reptile thermometer deluxe" and thought that it was great but have noticed recently that the clock on it runs slow, could this possibly be a fault that would effect temperature reading aswell?? as i use the thermometer to read the temps under the basking light and in the hide!

I do apologise as i feel that i am permanently asking questions on sw at the moment (Facebook...... whats facebook)!!! It is just that whenever i have a query of worry i am on to sw searching for the topic or picking at a few of your brains! You all have such a wealth of knowledge that this site could possibly be the bible of chelonians!!!

Jodie
no need to apologise , ask away !!!!! , not sure about lucky thermometer and not sure what you mean by clock ? , as a rule of thumb if your tortoise is right under the lamp its not warm enough, if the tortoise is basking at the edge of the lamp thats spot on, hope this helps.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

possibly needs a new battery but if it's new then it shouldn't really unless the battery has been in when in the shop maybe
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
boothy
Egg

Default Lucky reptile

Hi Jody

I use the exact same model and have had no issues with the time and the accuracy, (its accuracy is within + 1). It sounds as though you have a faulty model.

Stephen
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
jodie
Hatched

Thanks guys i tested it yesterday and it seems temps are fine its just the time that cant keep up! how strange.
jodie is offline   Reply With Quote