Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Andy_Hal
Egg

Default Advice about my horsefield please.

Hi all, I'm Andy from West Yorkshire in the UK.
I bought my horsefield tortoise last week and I have so many questions to ask, I've searched the internet and everything just contradicts each other, any advice is much appreciated.

1. Food
So, all it seems to like eating is dandelion leaves at the moment, I've tried it on spinach, thistle leaves, carrot shavings, but it doesn't seem interested. My question is, if I put something in (e.g a random weed i found) that it's not meant to eat will he eat it? Do i need to be careful what I put in its bowl? I'm still trying to find stuff other than dandelion leaves, although I have ordered a seed mix to grow my own.

I have found the tortoise table website, but I don't know the names of many plants and weeds.

2. Enclosure
I bought it from a pet shop, which I've recently discovered reading online is a no no. I bought it together with a vivarium, which I have also learnt isn't great. Although I have read articles which say vivs are better (I think they were just trying to sell their products). Is a vivarium, that bad? Will it be ok in their for a year or so? If it is so bad I will go and make a table for it as soon as possible.
It also came with pellets for a substrate, I have also bought some top soil today as I have heard they like to dig. I'm going to put some in tomorrow, should i put his cave on the soil side so he can dig down?

3. Hides
Should I put multiple hides in? I read somewhere to put it near the basking light, but most people say to put it on the cool side, should i put one on both sides and let it choose for itself?

4. Misting
Do I need to spray water in it's vivarium now and again to keep it humid?

Is it ok to wake it up, or get it out of its cave?
I ask this, as sometimes it can take it ages to get up, but when I do it seems happy enough and goes on a wander around.

I've included some pictures with my post. The guy who sold it me told me it was hatched in 2016 but wasn't sure when. I have added a picture on a ten pound note for size comparison, hopefully he's at the right size.
I have no idea if it's a girl or boy but seem to keep calling it a him.

I posted this on an American website, and I would just like to get some views from a UK based website as I think they have different ways over there.
Also I have now changed the substrate to top soil, which I was told was better but now he just gets covered in it. Also i found little bits of what look like old wrap from something in it which was worrying, I removed all the bits I could find, but may have to change it all again
I have also watered it and sprayed, but I'm a bit frightened that I'll get it too wet.

Thanks in advance!! Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to get anything wrong.
Andy_Hal is offline   Reply With Quote