Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 14-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
sprakey34
Egg

Default A little help please

My Hermanns laid 2 eggs and I have incubating them in a homemade incubator - temperature 29-30 degrees and humidity fluctuating between 60% and 70%. Have candled them and can see red veins and a mass near the bottom so assuming they are fertile. Providing they continue to develop, can anyone hazzard a guess as to when they may hatch. I only ask because we have just realised it will be ten and half weeks since laying when we are booked to go away for the weekend 23/24th July. Parents normally tortoise sit but are a bit nervous about the possibility of eggs hatching while in their care.
Thanks in advance.
Meriel.
sprakey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
wigwamman
Juvenile

my spur thigh eggs hatch at 58 days and may remain in the incubator for another 24 to 48 hours depending on the yolk sac being absorbed.i think hermanns should be the about the same.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

I died have one hatch at 45 days but think that's unusual. More often 50-55 days...ish
Your Parents won't have to do much. Just check on the eggs and possibly give them a drink ☺
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprakey34 View Post
My Hermanns laid 2 eggs and I have incubating them in a homemade incubator - temperature 29-30 degrees and humidity fluctuating between 60% and 70%. Have candled them and can see red veins and a mass near the bottom so assuming they are fertile. Providing they continue to develop, can anyone hazzard a guess as to when they may hatch. I only ask because we have just realised it will be ten and half weeks since laying when we are booked to go away for the weekend 23/24th July. Parents normally tortoise sit but are a bit nervous about the possibility of eggs hatching while in their care.
Thanks in advance.
Meriel.

The temperature your incubating at, determines how long they take to hatch.
I use to incubate at 32c and it took around 54 days to hatch. Your temps are far lower, and so it will take a lot longer for them to hatch. Possibly up to 80 days.
If its only the weekend you are going away, if they hatch they should still be fine left in the incubator for a few days. If you have a neighbour or friend who could look in at the eggs, all they would have to do is drop some water over the hatchlings nares to help keep hydrated.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

I would up the humidity between 70/80

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
sprakey34
Egg

Thanks for the advice. Does the temperature need to be higher? If so can it be increased now after the eggs have been at 29 or 30 for the past 4 weeks. Also have tried to increase humidity but failed. Have a shallow but wide bowl of water with a sponge, sat on top of the heat mat. Any other ideas?
Meriel.x
Old 15-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

You can increase the temperature with no harm and try adding a sponge/s to up humidity.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Does the temperature need to be higher? If so can it be increased now after the eggs have been at 29 or 30 for the past 4 weeks. Also have tried to increase humidity but failed. Have a shallow but wide bowl of water with a sponge, sat on top of the heat mat. Any other ideas?
Meriel.x
If you hatch at the temps you are using, then generally you get more male hatchlings.
30-31c a mix of sexes.
31.5-32.5c more chances of most being female. Sex of tortoises are determined by temperature:0)
To have a healthy group of tortoises you need at least four females to one male. Hence incubating for females :0)

Old 16-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
sprakey34
Egg

As the eggs are 5weeks into incubation would the sex of the tortoises already have been determined? Would I cause confusion or damage if I increased the temperature now? Already have a sponge in the bowl of water but will add another. Thanks.
Meriel.
Old 16-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
As the eggs are 5weeks into incubation would the sex of the tortoises already have been determined? Would I cause confusion or damage if I increased the temperature now? Already have a sponge in the bowl of water but will add another. Thanks.
Meriel.
I think the sex probably would be set.
I dont think it would harm anything if you upped the temps a little, as incubation temps vary though out the time until hatching in the wild:0)