Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 30-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
rocio
Hatchling

Default Lightning strike INSIDE the house!!!

I was sitting at the computer Friday lunchtime while the first heavy rains for 2 years fell and an incredible thunder and lightning went ding donging outside when suddenly there an explosive rifle crack and blue flash in the corner of the room just under the ceiling. My scream button was activated causing the OH to come trundling to see what had set me off. A few minutes later we lost internet connection and when I looked, the router was caput and the phone company had to come out and connect up a new one. How does lightning strike inside a house??? Nothing else went off, the phone was fine and the leccy,just the router was hit. Any answers to this one out there????
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
pagan queen
Adult

I haven't got an answer to that but I have seen it happen. I was sat watching TV when lightning struck the little silver finger stop thing on the old style telephone dial It knocked the receiver of the top of the phone but did no damage to anything other than the phone. The phone was under a window.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
zx4g
Hatchling

Hi, one reason for the router being damaged could be the electro static charge in the air,caused by the high voltage required for lightning.most routers ,particularly those which have wireless capability are highly sensitive to electro static charge which is the main reason for lightning build up in a storm.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
rocio
Hatchling

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx4g View Post
Hi, one reason for the router being damaged could be the electro static charge in the air,caused by the high voltage required for lightning.most routers ,particularly those which have wireless capability are highly sensitive to electro static charge which is the main reason for lightning build up in a storm.

Oh right, I thought that was the reason

Thanks for that, it was a helluva lightning storm but it still never struck the remaining palm tree which drives me mad.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

I think i would seriously freak if this happened!!! you'll find me hiding under my bed!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
rocio
Hatchling

Can't get under my bed,or any of our beds come to that. I did scream,I must admit though!