Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 30-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #21
wizzasmum

That's right Nina - by once a year I meant one worming regime per year. I'm so used to using systamex which was a one dose treatment.
Old 30-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #22
Pitcorthie
Hatched

I couldn't open the file you mentioned

Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #23
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

same ere shaz
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #24
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Can anybody's computer open the file and then maybe copy and paste the info to me if you would be so kind as my computer won't open the file

Thanks
Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #25
nicola
Egg

hi, i dont know if this helps but i read that your tortoise should be wormed twice a year and to do this you buy a syringe (no needle) and panacur 2.5%. hold the tortoise vertically and stroke the front legs. This will get the tortoise to open it's mouth and then you pop in the required dosage.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #26
nina
Adult

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a few days. I'm sorry that people couldn't open the file. I don't think I can cut and paste it because it's a spreadsheet and is probably too big. Maybe you have to register with the forum to see the files - have you tried that? The Tortoise Trust forum is a good one, so it won't be a waste of time.

Nina
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #27
Leila
Egg

Hi guys, You can buy wormers from www.wormers.co.uk. Cheaper than buying from the vet

Cheers
Leila
Leila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #28
aprillinda

thanks nina when you join you can opn the files

a useful chart

linda
Old 07-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #29
Dazza
Adult

I got my paste from my vet, i did find however that they were VERY reluctant to sell it to me, the paste was around £9, and the was enough for my tortoises, now my vet wanted to tube them for £10 - £15 each !!!!!! But after a lot of talking they finally said ok you sound like you know what your doing here you go, but they still did'nt want me to have the paste...

Panacur Equine Paste, with Apple and Cinnamon, 4.5 g fenbendazole in a 24g syringe (which is how this stuff in supplied) is 18.75%. The tortoise trust/tortoise friends yahoo group has the doasge charts(any problems pm me and i will e-mail it to you)

You will need a 1ml syringe (NO NEEDLE)

I squirt some paste into a small 1oz pot, if you try drawing it from the syringe it comes in, you'll get more air than paste.

Charge your 1ml syringe with required dose, offer a treat, as they open to bite treat put syringe in the side of the mouth and SLOWLY release the paste, your tortoise WILL try and kick the syringe out, but at the same time they bite hard on the end of the syringe to try and rip it apart as they would food. Let then finish the treat and i give a bit extra....Job done...

Question, i thought cat & dog worming products are bad for tortoises ???

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #30
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thanks for that darren, im going to give it a try. Yes i would like to know which paste to get is the dog and cat one ok to use does it come in different percentages??

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote