Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
baybay
Incubating

Default Tortoises looking out?

I am designing a new indoor enclosure and I was wondering if it would be okay to have the front of the table made out of plexiglass so he could see out. I notice now he tries to prop his head up to look out and I think he enjoys the view. It couldn't do any harm for him to see around the room, could it?

The reason why I ask is because currently he can climb his barrier and pop his head out and whenever people or the tv is in on the room he loves to pop his head out and look around. I know the general consensus is that tortoises fear looking out, but I feel as though he would appreciate the glass and not be frightened by it, seeing as he currently loves to look around.

Thanks

R.I.P Stewie you will be missed

Last edited by baybay; 21-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
baybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
kreacher
Sub Adult

It's not so much that they will fear it, it is that they have no concept of glass so think they can walk through it...nose rub is a huge issue is captive reptiles simply because they spend so much time trying to go through the glass they end up rubbing the end of their noses away and it can cause some serious damage...however I have my redfoot in a vivarium with glass doors and he is fine, he will try and scrabble at the glass every now and again but as a general rule he doesn't bother, and if he does his shell (with a thud) hits the glass before his face does!!

So your shelled friend would be fine and yeah probably would like to be able to see around but it may drive you insane with its shell running on the glass!
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Merlin M
Adult

Mine have a perspex window and like to look out, they scrape their nails down it when they want food but have never really tried to get through it...

I would say yes put the plexiglass in but be prepared to cover it if he is trying to get through it a lot
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

my sully's table has two perspex windows and she's never shown any interest in them at all, I put them in as the sides of the table are so high they didn't let in any sun.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Herpard
Adult

My hermanns would constantly scrape and try to get out, as soon as they were moved into a glass fronted house they stopped, they do climb up it when they see me with food though.

My leopard was the same, she now rests her head on the runners and looks out the glass.

They know they can't get through it as it does reflect some light, they have never tried to walk through the glass once.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote