Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Default 'tough but necessary' - what do you think?

With many Government cuts forecast … what do you think of the latest - Child benefit cuts?

Ministers have defended plans to cut child benefits to higher earners amid criticism they represent an "attack" on already hard-pressed families.

From 2013, benefits will be removed from any family where one parent earns more than about £44,000 a year.

Households where two parents each earning slightly less than £44,000 - adding up to a combined family income of over £80,000 - will keep the benefit while households where just one parent earns over £44,000 will lose it.

More –
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11470983

Also announced - plans to cap the maximum amount of benefits that any single family can claim at about £26,000 - to ensure families are not better off on welfare than in employment.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Unhappy

I think its cleverly being used as a smokescreen by the government as a way of diverting everyones attention from what else they're up to. Its also a good way of causing divides between people with different pay packets. I think people who will lose out because of these cuts will be far less concerned about others who will stand to lose a lot more once the real cuts starts.

There are certain irregularities in this new idea. Especially the fact that a single parent earning over £40k will lose their child benefit, yet a couple together are both able to earn £39k each and still recieve it. I mean how can the government not forsee the unfairness in that?

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know how they arrive at this decision, it seem's arse about face to me, earn more jointly receive less it should be.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

I feel that benefits should only be given to people who need it, if any family is bringing in over £45k regardless if its two of them working they shouldn't get it.

As you can live on that money.....................I think
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
swad1000
Adult

I think they should cut all child benefit, you wanted kids pay for them.

But then I don't have kids.

But I agree the new idea doesn't add up, the more you earn the less you should get, regardless of who earns it.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
purplelynn
Sub Adult

I agree it should be means tested and not an entitlement but think they have got their sums wrong as usual
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I have to say I agree with Carl (Swad1000). I also think it should be means tested. At the end of the day, the cuts must fall everywhere - and its too easy sometimes to avoid places like Social Security and benefits. However....I do agree also with Paul, it is ass about face. It needs rethinking....
How about this idea - you can have as many kids as you would like...however the state will only pay for 2. After this - you pay for that child yourself. ??? Think saving costs, saving money. Tough choices but also forward planning. It probably targets a small percentage of people who actually dont forward plan, and decide it is actually easier to not work, and to stay on benefits. It maybe forces people to think about their actions.....just wondering about that. (be gentle with me...there are some probably out there who do kind of exploit the system - as in when you read the News of the world...and someone has got a partner who doesnt work, mother doesnt work - and 8 kids?? Why should I pay for their lifestyle - in benefits probably claiming more than me, who works hard for poor money!) BUT....some who have no choice, I understand that.
But alas.....it will never happen and also would sadly probably end up in more back street abortions, adoptions, abandonment and also I dont think the Catholic religion could comply.
Without carrying on my babbling,.....it is a good idea in principle, but going into it deeper...its not (if you get my drift).

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 04-10-2010 at 09:03 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Neddy
Sub Adult

But it isn't black white peeps lol

My mum and Dad had us 3 girls thinking they would always be together but sadly they split. My mum had a choice she could accept benefits or miss out on our childhood.

And I am glad she chose to take us to school and pick us up, and was there if we were poorly etc but this soon changed because of people looking down at her! Once my sisters got old enough to take me to school with them she went back to work, and I always remember thinking why has she stopped? Why is everyone's mum's still picking them up? And I fell ill and had to sleep in the 'get better bed' because she couldnt just leave work! She worked two jobs and was shattered every evening but she lived for the weekends, and I know she was trying to do her best for us and set a good example.

When I have children I would want to take them to school and pick them up and if me and Dave spilt up (which I pray we don't) I will be accepting benefits and will be looking after my kids and being there for them and ensuring they had tea on the table, they have a clean house, and help with there homework!

I don't think there is any shame in claiming child benefits because I think certain thinks are important during childhood.

I have had one weeks worth of job seekers allowance when I was 17. I have worked full time ever since and I cant afford to learn how to drive, we cant afford to buy a house, cant afford to get married, cant afford to go on holiday once a year, and I cant afford to have children!

I really think there are other means of cutting back like, stop letting people into this country regardless of where they are from, if someone is given a job and they decline no more job seekers allowance what makes me rally really mad is if I lost my job I would not be entitled to anything! Dave would have to provide for me and we aren't even married, bloody nuts lol

Last edited by Neddy; 04-10-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spellings
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

I got a good idea...(may fair better than my last...)
How about if you are unemployed for over 6months - 1year - then you are means tested. On the means tested form, you fill in things like medical conditions, owning your own home or renting, skills that you have, and a list of skills that you would have to select say, your top 3 of skills in order of preference.
This then gets sent to your local council and then people who are on jobseekers allowance for 6-12months + would have to then do community work to earn their money?
The positions of work would be things to benefit and help the community - such as maintaining roads, parks, keeping cities clean and tidy, hospital volunteers, - some things which is undertaken by local councils.
There would be work for women, men, young - up to the age of state pension (if there is one left.....!)
So to get the jobseekers allowance, you must fill in the means test form, and then work in the community for the community via the local authority.
Keeps people in the working regime, who may find themselves out of the loop and stuck in a rut of cant work, wont work - and also develops their interest in new skills and also would benefit local towns.
Everyone contributes then. No work, no pay. Anyone with sickness must have a doctors note or its deducted from money...
How about that......???
(VOTE Prune Girl 2011)

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 04-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
TortBabe
Adult

You made some really good points there Sara....I was with my kids Dad for 12 years...I thought it would be forever. My parents died before my kids were born, I have no family who can help with my kids to let me work (they all work themselves) He has not worked now for about 5 years. 4 years ago my son was diagnosed with autism. He has only recently started sleeping through the night for me. I know there is not a childminder in this country who would take him on as he is so violent when things don't go his way. I would dearly love to go out to work and pay for my kids myself, I worked from the age of 16 until I fell pregnant at 23. I know these cuts will not affect me, but sometimes people have no choice but to be on benefits. My ex badly let me and my kids down, he doesn't really provide for them at all. And had my son not have been diagnosed with the nightmare condition that he has, I know I would have went back to work. Even my local benefits office have told me in the back to work interviews that I attend every year that it is impossible for me to return to work. I Do love being there for my kids, and EB has told me herself that she would hate it if I worked and she had to stay with a stranger. I feel trapped, I would love to work and pay for my kids but I can't We are not all baby-making scrounging machines.