Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 11-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay
Default Empty cages

I'm feeling the urge for more animals

I've got an empty bird cage, a hamster cage and three fish tanks: 2 X 12" and 1 X 18"

I'm not daft, don't have the time to dedicate to a bird right now and don't feel the urge to loose fingers to a hamster again right now (inhibits typing) though I loved my little guy Rincewind, but I have the filters, heaters, gravel, decorations etc etc etc for my tanks so wondering what you would put in them? Sadly they're not big enough for an axoltl or pair of seahorses (one day!!)

I'm not a fish expert though I've had cold water and tropical fish over the years. Loaches, corys, bettas (I love siamese fighters), guppies, goldfish, moors.. Don't necessarily want hundreds, just a nice set up, everyone happy and comfortable and pretty lol

What do we all think?

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
tortoiseboy
Sub Adult

Go for it.
fish are great cant wait till i get mine
tortoiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Toni115
Adult

why not? if you have the equipment, space and time, then go for it

although i must admit, i'm not into fish, but the seahorses..............beautiful and yes, maybe one day, we can dream eh?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
jobro1968
Hatchling

i like fish too i have 8 goldfish

alfie=tunisian
martha + tulip + violet = leopards
stan + ollie + big bert + lilly = hermanns
No more vacancies !
jobro1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
joathome
Adult

I went to our local aquatic centre today and they had seahorses, they were yellow, not priced yet as they only just came in but lovely
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Ajay
Sub Adult

I will have seahorses one day. They're fabulous creatures Will be doing heaps of research into their care (and back up electric for their filters etc!!) before getting any and would rather find them from someone who's bred them than a shop - the pet trade has made all but one species endangered don't even mention seadragons (the other foot is still blank )

I love axoltls too.. the guy two doors down from Andrew's place breeds them.. May have to pay him a visit over Easter i've always wanted one. Though not sure what they need as yet..

But as for fish.. What would you put in the tanks? Pick a pretty picture lol I'm taking a break from dissertation for a couple of hours so looking at fish (though got distracted by a beautiful hunter gelding for sale and a whippet X jack russel for rehoming.. )

1.0.0 Canis familiaris

Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

the thing with seahorses is that they are so hard to keep and a setup for them is so expensive.....you need

a 1800+skimmer
duel power heads
slump
anenome

altho there only small they need a 50 gallon plus tank as with marine seahorses they pollute the water so quickly they rise the nitrates and the nitrites so hight hat the wate rlevels become toxi...so the bigger the tank more you can dilute the water.

if in the future you do want cb uk sea horses then give us a pm. the shop i used to work in was a a centre type place and stocked reptiles and aqatics so i have contacts with a good few breeders.

what about dwarf African Clawed Frogs. sword tailed newts,dwarf Caecilians. worm snakes, sand boas.
if it's just fish your after then have a look at L numbered plec fish (these are not ur tipical cat fish)
-dwarf cichlids
-gouramis
-sharks
-glass fish
-sliver dollars
-dwarf Arowana

hatch and archers are always great.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
TortMad
Adult

Go for it Ajay

A small happy community tank is what I would do with your set up. They don't take much looking after and I always like to look in mine and see what is going on in my underwater world. Always something interesting happening

I have a freshwater community tank and a fish pond with goldfish and shubunkins in. If I was to get a new tank I have to say I would probably give marines a try, but then think I would miss my freshies and end up with another small tank lol

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Ajay
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
the thing with seahorses is that they are so hard to keep and a setup for them is so expensive....
Why do I always fall for the ones that are hard to keep?? lol but for these guys I wouldn't begrudge the expense. Them and my camels will happen one day

So Christian, if you had the tanks I've got what would you put in them? (While I'm looking up that list lol)

Thanks Lea, but it's what to put in a community tank that's the problem lol I know to set it up and cycle it without fish but I wouldn't know which fish to put in it first to get it started and then who to add in which order if you see what I mean.. Who do you have in your tank?

Christian I haven't the foggiest tbh! Lots of looking and thinking involved atm would like a fish set up but with three tanks (and certainly not adverse to getting another one lol) I can have them and others.. I'm still open to all options..

1.0.0 Canis familiaris

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

not only are they expensive but you need to spend alot of time every day maintaning the tank....if the salt levels drop over night then you will have a tank of dead animals.....and believe me the amount of customers i had to deal with was agood few. plus you need to clean the glass alot and these buggas are pretty aggresive.

when you say what would i have....do you eman as in fish or other naimals

what size are your tanks as i could suggest a good comunal tank.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote