Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 22-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
piglet
Adult

I have kept domestic fowl for about 30yrs now any help I'm only too happy to help if needed, I also recommend practical poultry its an excellent magazine.
Most breeds are extremely hardy and good draught free shelter is all that's needed, but some breeds such as Cochin and Brahmas that carry heavily feathered feet need good dry deep litter in the winter to prevent foot and wet feather problems .
Also breeds such as Leghorns, Andalusian,Minorcas the cocks carry huge exaggerated combs and wattles that are susceptible to frost bite and will loose some of the serrations if not kept free from hard frosts, people, show exhibitors in particular often don't allow these birds to run outdoors during really cold weather they also Vaseline the combs to protect them from frost.
Some breeds such as silkies and frizzle also suffer in damp cold weather due to there strange very loose feathering
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
terrypin
Adult

hi Darren im new to chickens arent they real characters i love to watch them running free in the woods and they dust bath next to the leopards pens or do a little weeding in the enclosure.
terry
Old 22-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
piglet
Adult

Terry alot of people say keeping fish in an aqurium is very relaxing I think the same goes for chucks just watching them go about there business is fasinateing like a bunch of mums busy with there day

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
Cpx

Helen that lil chick-a-dee is beautiful, my granddad kept chickens when i was only a wee bab' and he had such fun with them.

I find chickens so fasinating, and theyre really cool to snap pictures of.
Chickens are easy to keep, just google basic keeping of a chicken!
Old 22-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
2me2u
Incubating

the chickens have been given to someone else, its not that we couldnt look after them.. I didnt realise were breeding them till they were born but we are now breeding ducks (i'll post photos when they hatch)
Old 22-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Cpx

Awwww hope the chicks went to a good home.

ALSO your breeding duckies now? cant wait for those pics (ducks appeal more than chickens sorry )
Old 22-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
2me2u
Incubating

yea they went to a great home, the man was very nice and he was very chatty couldnt get away from him

But yea we are breeding ducks, they should hatch in a month or so
Old 22-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
terrypin
Adult

[quote="Cpx"]Helen that lil chick-a-dee is beautiful, my granddad kept chickens when i was only a wee bab' and he had such fun with them.

I find chickens so fasinating, and theyre really cool to snap pictures of.
Chickens are easy to keep, just google basic keeping of a chicken![/quote

chickens need food water and shelter also you must keep the coop clean or it will stink of ammonia and attract rats i open the coop at 4.30 am and close it after dark i am fortunate as im in the position that mine can run free but either way they need some quality of life and are not just egg machines so if you think they are easy to keep please consider the chickenand try to offer some quality of life and not just the basics they really are worth the effort.
terry
Old 22-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
2me2u
Incubating

Also you need to have a rough time of when they should go back in... my dad thought he had told my mum to bring the chickens in but he didnt, and they were out longer than they should have, and the next night we couldnt get them back in so we were waiting for ages
And make sure they dont start pecking each other or pushing one away, this may make that one to stop eating..

terrypin
Your chickens are lovely
Old 22-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #20
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2me2u
Also you need to have a rough time of when they should go back in... my dad thought he had told my mum to bring the chickens in but he didnt, and they were out longer than they should have, and the next night we couldnt get them back in so we were waiting for ages
And make sure they dont start pecking each other or pushing one away, this may make that one to stop eating..

terrypin
Your chickens are lovely
hi thanks i am no expert being new to chickens but as birds you can imprint things on them if you lock them in the coop for the first 24 to 48 hours with food and water they will return every night when it gets dark as they know this is a safe roost also if they sleep in the nestboxes you must go in at night and lift them onto the perches so they find themselves there in the morning this can take some few nights with certain birds but that way you get clean eggs so it is worth the effort.
terry