Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 25-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Lyn
Adult

I see lots of these for sale and I also see people advertising for tortoises stating that they don't care what kind it is I worry that there will be a lot left in rescues in the future.
How did your friend take the news?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
vivp
Hatched

how big do they get then.
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
Becks
Adult

Adult specimens are usually 18 inches in shell length, and 70 to 100 pounds in weight, with 24 to 30 inch, 150 pound specimens not unknown. They grow from hatchling size (2-3 inches) very quickly, reaching 6-10 inches within the first few years of their lives. An adult sulcata will need a great deal of space. Several web sites list the record size between 230 lb and 240 lb. They are the 3rd largest tortoise in the world .
This is info i have found on them
Luv Becks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #14
izzy
Egg

Send a message via MSN to izzy

Well i phoned the girl who owns these animals tonight and told her that they are not leopards. She argued for a while and then i think it sunk in. Primarily she said "it doesnt matter what they are" but then i explained about the size they will grow to. I thought she was going to cry!! She says she is going to call the man who sold them to her tomorrow and ask why he sold them as leopards.

She asked me if i would take two from her but at the moment I would seriously fail "the sulcata test" so i said no. She does have a field at the back of her large house that she uses for goats at the moment (and she does have money), we talked about the fact that this could be used in the future. She now needs to do a lot of reading about this species and talk it through with her husband.

Unfortunately this is an example of someone who could give a very loving home to a smaller species, but probably wont be able to cope with sullies in the future. I hope she proves me wrong.

Izzy
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Izzy, she has probably got attached to them which makes matters worse too, but it might be worth contacting trading standards as she has consumer rights, she was sold leopard tortoises which she was told would not grow very big, which we all know is wrong, then to top it all off they are sulcutas which are not leaoprds at all and grow even bigger than leos.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
yam yam
Sub Adult

oh dear why do people sell animals with out telling you what they really are so sad on the buyers part if they cant house them when fully grow sham on those people

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Tamie Milne
Hatched

What pet shop did she get these torts from?
Tamie
Tamie Milne is offline   Reply With Quote