Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 26-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Wyrd
Egg

Default New Turtles!

Well today I bought home some new friends, a pair of yellow mud turtles.

They are male and female, and apparently were taken in by the shop as the previous owner didn't want them any more.
They have a bit of shell damage but are eating very well and are active, although I am a bit worried as he keeps mating with her, I might have to try and source another female to keep him occupied and give her a break.

They are called Bryn and Brodie
Wyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
anna m
Adult

You got them at last well done

Where do they live?
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Well today I bought home some new friends, a pair of yellow mud turtles.

They are male and female, and apparently were taken in by the shop as the previous owner didn't want them any more.
They have a bit of shell damage but are eating very well and are active, although I am a bit worried as he keeps mating with her, I might have to try and source another female to keep him occupied and give her a break.

They are called Bryn and Brodie
Really nice species of North American Mud Turtle (Kinosternon flavescens). Male/ female aggression is indeed a problem with this species and I would recommend keeping them seperate, for much of the year as a consequence.
These grow larger than the Common Musk (Sternotherus/ Kinosternon odoratum). However, that said they are still much smaller than Sliders and Cooters, and of course, much smaller than Snapping turtles, which in habit, they largely emulate.
It would be nice to see some pictures of these two if you get a chance.
Husbandry, is very similar to the other "Bottom walkers":
http://www.terrapintank.co.uk/forum/...hp?f=34&t=2185
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Wyrd
Egg

Thanks, or the link, I have read that quite a bit now in my researchonce I knew what they were

They have been here a few days now and are settling in, eating well and being quite lively.

My male is a better swimmer than my female, but I supect she hasn't been used to swimming much, not in the last 5 months anyway, she is getting a little better now she has some room to move, but sitting out of the water most of the time, I suspect she is keeping out the way of the male.

I would like to keep them together as I have just built a large pond for them for summer use, but if it comes to it I will seperate them (thanks to dodgy measuring I have enough pond liner left over to make another pond!), would locating another female take some of the attention from her? a 2-3 ratio as you would with torts?

I have measured them both and they are 4 inches SCL, no idea on age though.

They are both used to eating turtle sticks, so I bought the same brand they had been feeding them in the shop, an I have also introduced some bloodwom which my male loves, I may have a go at breeding some for them, as my newts also like bloodworm.

They are living in temporary accomodation at the moment in my convervatory whilst I try to acclimatise them, my male, Bryn, has been out into the pond once so I could see how he got on and make any additions he needed, he seemed to enjoy himself, so I am hoping with more space, and some food he can hunt down, he will be occupied and not keep jumping on poor Brodie,lol.

How easy is it to get this species in the UK? I have not seen them before, they are so interesting and lovely to watch, I may be tempted to get a few more of them
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

They are imported in small numbers, and in europe they are currently on the list for La ferme tropicale in Paris.
Like all mud turtles, these are primarily molluscivores in nature and accordingly, should be given lots of snails and other live inverts in their diet. At this time of year, Tadpoles are also very high on their preferred diet.
Like the Common Musk, they will certainly benefit from a summer outside, in a garden enclosure, but do not expect to see much of them, as they will become very secretive in this environment. Personally, I would not keep this species outside in the UK winter though.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Wyrd
Egg

Well I have now finished their pond. I had to do a lot of re thinking as it was originally set up with sliders in mind.
The pump and filter have been on for a few days now, getting everything sorted and leaving everything to clear and settle. I hope they will like it!

I had a lovely moment with my female Brodie, she usually sits slightly out of the water over the other side, but she swam up to me and looked at me, I assumed she wanted some food so I put her a few pellets in and she was still looking at me, so I offered her one in my hand, thinking she would scurry away, and she took it from my hand! I was so happy, she is quite a shy little thing.

They have now been introduced to worms and slugs, which my male Bryn loves, it seems to have stopped some of his aggression towards Brodie as well.

There are snails in the pond, I hope they will breed and then they can have some snaily treats as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
kate w.j
Egg

congratulations and have fun with them
kate w.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Wyrd
Egg

Thank you, they are great

Yesterday my female Brodie was eating slugs off a spoon,lol.

They are looking very yellow under the jaw now as well, it was hard to see when I got them.