Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 13-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Caroline McI
Hatchling

Default Might be sensitive......

I'm moving South (all the way down to England ) in the next few weeks.
I'll obviously be taking Cookie and Lottie but I think I'm going to have a
sensitive situation to deal with. A senior colleague has one or two tortoises and
has already said "Oh they'll all have to meet". She is trying to be nice but I've
realised that mixing them would not be a good idea. Is this correct?

I'll have to tell her I learned this from SW as I don't want her to think I'm being
ignorant. She has also told me she keeps hers in a viv so I would love to tell
her that's not the best for them. I was thinking of telling her about SW so she could
join, then she'd maybe see it for herself without me feeling awkward.

Does that make sense?

Also what's the best and safest way to transport Cookie and Lottie? Will they more than
likey sleep most of the way? it'll be about 10 hrs drive.
Caroline McI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I personally wouldn,t say anymore about your torts to your work friends she might forget or if the worst came to it you could always say their in isolation but if you don,t mention them to her or change the subject its better than saying no they can,t meet, Iv,e never traveled mine other than to get tootsie chipped and we took her in a wicker basket which was a Big mistake she obviously got either excited or stressed because she pooped and as she couldn,t get away from the poop went everywhere and god did it smell, she then followed it by weeing in the basket and on the vets table, so I,d make sure that they have enough space to not sit in it, can,t they go in their table or is that to big what ever you do take them in take spare newspaper , wipes and air freshener if their big torts like mine was.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Caroline,

Meeting isn't a great idea because of cross contamination as you said.

Get your collegue to come and look at the forum, it will save you the awkward situation that might arise, telling her that she is doing anything wrong, tortoise keeping is a learning curve, many of the older keeprs here remeber the times when vivs were the best thing since sliced bread, but times and studies have been shown to be otherwise, like you she is probably going on the information given to her at the time she got her tortoises, but unlike you she knows no different.

As for the 10 hour journey, when I bring my tortoises over to the UK they have a temporary home in large storage boxes, these are sat on the back seat of the car.

I tend to favour moving the tortoises over night, catching a night ferry, at least this way the tortoises are generally asleep for the majority of the trip, and setlte down really well.

If however you travel in the day used the same method but perhaps stop half way and give the tortoises a little soak in a shallow dish and a few dandilions along the way, it might be too cool for them to very active anyway so might sleep along the way.

I make sure the boxes have got safety belts around them to as it will keep the load more secure whilst driving.

I hope this helps.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

I think its a good idea for you to say to your friend, that since you have been a member of
this group, you have found a new upto date way of keeping tortoises<g>. By thinking of how
they would be in the wild. Then ask if she would like to join.
Putting your tortoises in a box, with substrate so they can bury down if they need to. Also if
you can find a suitable place to stop and give them a quick bath, to keep them hydrated it
would be good. Try if possible to keep them as cool as you can as this will stop them getting to
active for the journey. Shredded paper on top of them also can help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

I worked with a guy who I found out had 4 hermans and was keeping , feeding them the old fashioned ways I did mention SW but had to tread very softley as I had to work with him and didn,t want to offend or cause an arguement I just said that I was a member of a very good forum well worth a look or something similar and left it at that, it,ll be hard enough making new freinds and selting in without starting of on the wrong foot.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

Politely explain that it's not a good idea to put them together for the safety of their tortoise and your own.

As to the viv, I'd suggest looking at the setup before making any comments. Who knows they might something to show you.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Caroline McI
Hatchling

PG, I think it's unlikey she'll forget, last time she phoned to check on something
she said she'd had hers in the bath that weekend. The last two places I've worked
they must have been sick of me talking about Cookie so I'll find it very difficult
not to mention her and Lottie. I plan to make sure they have plenty room to walk around
in when I take them, and I always have spare toilet or kitchen roll in case there are any
poo's.
Old 13-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Caroline McI
Hatchling

Ade and Sandy, we will stop a few times I'm sure so that's a good idea
about a wee bath, I could take a smaller container and maybe get some
warm water from Services and pop them in it. I'll give them a wee walk
around outside if possible too.

I was planning to sit next to them Ade, I usually go in the back with them
even if it's only the five minute journey to my mum's garden
Old 13-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Caroline McI
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
I worked with a guy who I found out had 4 hermans and was keeping , feeding them the old fashioned ways I did mention SW but had to tread very softley as I had to work with him and didn,t want to offend or cause an arguement I just said that I was a member of a very good forum well worth a look or something similar and left it at that, it,ll be hard enough making new freinds and selting in without starting of on the wrong foot.
Exactly, I don't want to appear as a "know it all" because obviously I'm not,
but she did say her daughter was a member of some group that meet up.
She does seem like the type of person who might be grateful for the info
about SW.
Old 13-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

If the tortoises arent the same species they should never meet anyway so this may be a get out clause for you.

If however you visit and show them to the woman you should both disinfect your hands with antibacterial hand scrub in between handling to stop cross contamination.

To put your tortoises anywhere her tortoises has been is a no no too, as the area is possibly harbouring any potential diseases you are avoiding in the first place.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your tortoises or your new friends, its just precautionary as prevention is better than any cure.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote