Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Annie96
Egg

Default allergy or illness from tortoise

We got a Horrsfield a few weeks ago and co incidently my daughter (she(tortoise)sleeps in her room) has been unwell/off colour on and off in the last few weeks. Symptoms are cold/upset tummy/water infection/temperature/sickness. There has been stuff going around, but a neighbour has queried whether it could be anything to do with the tortoise and I thought I would ask your members for advice. The doctor has said its a virus and a water infection, so Im pretty sure its just that, but just in case thought I would check on the internet. No luck searching Google or Ask but maybe its how I worded the search. Thanx Jo
Annie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Jo,

The only thing you can really get form tortoises is Salmonella, which is a result of picking up the tortoise and not washing hands properly afterwards, apart from this I certainly think the doctor is right in respect that its a coincidence and is a viral infection your daughter has got.

I hope this helps.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Annie96
Egg

Default allergy or illness from tortoise

Thanx for advice. Hadnt realised that you could get salmonella from a tortoise - just looked it up and her symptoms could be salmonella or just a bug. Will take her back to doctors on tuesday, even if better just to rule it out, or earlier if any worse. She is a bit better today and has eaten a little though still has an upset tummy, which we thought was cos she has hardly eaten solids and just drunk water for 6 days - she is on antibiotics for water infection. Bit worrying though as also have a two year old. Tilly (tortoise) seems very well. Will ensure we all wash hands after handling, as relied on eldest daughter doing it without reminding her all the time.

Thanx again - Jo
Old 26-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
*laura*

hiya jo, i hope your daughter gets better soon, and am pretty sure its nothing shes picked up off the tortoise.

i read somewhere though that a tortoise can catch a cold from a human?!? not sure how much truth is in that though?!?
Old 27-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #5
HelenR-D
Egg

We are in the Worcestershire area and there has been a sickness and diahorrea bug going around never heard of torts passing bugs to humans.
HelenR-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Jo it might also be advisable to keep an alcahol hand rub by the tortoise table so that people handling can sterlise their hands at the point of contact.

I love my tortoises to bit but they do carry germs which can upset us, so its a case of getting into the habit of cleaning hands especially before eating etc.. if the tortoises have been touched.

Sometimes it makes me feel like I have that compulsive cleaning disoreder when I am constantly washing my hands handling one breed of tortoise then another and then finishing handling but its a good regime to get into and eventually it does become instinctive and second nature washing hands after holding them.

I also think you can catch another bug called Crypto Speridium (not sure on spelling) which is quite a nasty one but not as common as salmonella.

Really its a case of enjoying them but being carefull where handling is concearned along with personal hygeine.

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Laura, I dont think there is any truth in tortoises being able to catch human colds, they can get RNS which is runny nose syndrome but this is not a cold, and will need treatment with Baytril whcih is an antibiotic from the vet.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
sandy
Adult

I think you will find although you are supposed to be able to get salmonella, from tortoises.
There is no record of it ever happening.
Sounds like coincedence to me, fingers crossed it is.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
roedeane
Egg

Afew years ago I has salmonella, and when I mentioned my reptile collection to the doctors he thought I was far more likely to have picked it up from one of my patients! I was a podiatrist in the NHS! Yvette ps hope she's better very soon
roedeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Annie96
Egg

Default Allergy/illness

Thanx for all replies and "get wells". She is a little better today as well. Im sure it is just virus and water infection(she has had water infections before) and that its just a coincidence about the tortoise. A good idea about the wipes, will do that.

Thanx again
Old 27-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
bruceleetortoise

im pretty sure its turtles you can get salmonella from, dont think you can from tortoises.