Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 16-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Greenhouse housing owners help pls

I am very interested to see some pictures of greenhouse enclosures f you lovely lot wouldn't mind showing them to me . I would be very greatful. Feel free to write as much info on heating,fittings, advice etc ... How you heat ?if you have to keep cool in summer.?
if you keep them in it over winter and how you insulate. The more information and pics the better please it would be muchly appreciated

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing your torti homes

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
I am very interested to see some pictures of greenhouse enclosures f you lovely lot wouldn't mind showing them to me . I would be very greatful. Feel free to write as much info on heating,fittings, advice etc ... How you heat ?if you have to keep cool in summer.?
if you keep them in it over winter and how you insulate. The more information and pics the better please it would be muchly appreciated

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing your torti homes
Here is a picture of my GH inside.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
Taszia
Hatchling

Thank you sandy this is great

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

I would post a picture of my greenhouse but it is like a builders yard at the moment due to a rebuild.
The first thing I would say is if you can put the greenhouse with the longest side facing the early sun so it warms up quick.
Inside I have three partitions that have a ramp to a hole for access to an outside pen.
Inside there is a wooden box in each pen and slabs in front of them then I have a mound of soil for the females to lay in which they all seem to do quite happily over the top of that I hang a lamp that has just a normal 100w spot light bulb on a time switch so it comes on early in the morning and goes off at 11am.
In the colder times it stays on all day.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

this is looking in.

I love having upside down baskets over plants which allow eating but cover the roots so plants continually grow. Especially Horsfields as they devour plant and root and all ! some sit on top, some dig underneath !

and then looking out.

I like to have little curves and obstacles and hidey holes and different substrates, rocks to climb, and plants growing up through the shingle.

The GH is unheated. The shingle allows lots of drainage but also deep enough for lots of digging.

you really don't need to spend an awful lot at all. or to maintain.

I change it around every so often so new places to explore but also taking into account changes can stress some of them, whilst others are a bit more adventurous and brave. I notice though that what ever they do they are mostly always together.

Old 17-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

I love it Clare you are so imaginative your tortoises look really comfortable.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

I love how Sandy’s are so well-behaved and under a crock each. My girls would all try piling in the same one, one on top of the other.

Clare, your garden is always so colourful - it’s like tortoises in Wonderland. I always have garden envy when I see your artistic flair outdoors.

Serious greenhouse envy here!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

I totally echo Mary's thoughts, Clare. Just lovely & so interesting for your torts. Love the splashes of blue too, especially your mosaic circle!

Last edited by burnt toast; 17-02-2018 at 11:40 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I would post a picture of my greenhouse but it is like a builders yard at the moment due to a rebuild.
The first thing I would say is if you can put the greenhouse with the longest side facing the early sun so it warms up quick.
Inside I have three partitions that have a ramp to a hole for access to an outside pen.
Inside there is a wooden box in each pen and slabs in front of them then I have a mound of soil for the females to lay in which they all seem to do quite happily over the top of that I hang a lamp that has just a normal 100w spot light bulb on a time switch so it comes on early in the morning and goes off at 11am.
In the colder times it stays on all day.
Love to see it Gordon (even with building mess!) I'm useless at imagining things!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Love to see it Gordon (even with building mess!) I'm useless at imagining things!
You'll have to join the queue Lynn as I'm first in line!!!!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote