Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 09-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Chinese
Egg

Default Advices needed about a lepard

Abit about me, I've had a Herman for nearly 14 years and have recently lost my rescue horsefields who I had for 2 years, I'm wanting to get another tort and was thinking to get another Herman or horsefields but I have been offered a rehome lepard and I'm really tempted! Please tell just how different are they to the species I'm used to? Obviously I no a much bigger enclosure would be needed and dietry requirements but what else?
Chinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm not 100% sure but think that Leopards don't hibernate which means they will need heat all the year round and as they can get quite big would be to big for an average table as adults. This might mean a heated shed so would be far more costly than say a med tort and the shed or house would need to be a good size to house one all winter, do as much research as possible as to the care of an adult rather than just a hatchling as thats where the costs will be.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Chinese
Egg

Thank you for your reply, do you no sort of what age the Leo's get to big for tables? The one I've been offered iis 8 months old so still quite small but obviously I no that won't last forever. I've always admired lepords but never thought of owning one until now, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm just so undecided, I'm starting to think if I'm having doubts then maybe I shouldn't get this one.......
Old 10-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese View Post
Abit about me, I've had a Herman for nearly 14 years and have recently lost my rescue horsefields who I had for 2 years, I'm wanting to get another tort and was thinking to get another Herman or horsefields but I have been offered a rehome lepard and I'm really tempted! Please tell just how different are they to the species I'm used to? Obviously I no a much bigger enclosure would be needed and dietry requirements but what else?
Leopards need heat 24hrs a day, with a lower temp at night.
They can be more difficult to keep if they have had a lot of previous owners. They don't adjust easily. They can also grow quite large, hence a lot come up for rehoming. Most new tortoise keepers don't realise how much space they need, and how big they get.
If you have the space the time and the money, then give the leopard a chance. If not the go for a more hardy species:0)
Diet for leopards is 70 percent grasses and thirty percent weeds and flowers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Chinese
Egg

Thank you for replying, the Leo I have been offered is only 8 months old so still quite small. How quickly do they out grow tables? I have got a great area in my garage that I could get converted for a Leo ince big enough, it has heating already in there so it would just be a case of the uv and basking lamps etc but will need abit of time before I do that so will he be ok in a table for a while?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

If the tort is fed properly and doesn't grow to fast you've probably got at least a couple of years before it outgrows a table, but of course that depends on the size of the table.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Chinese
Egg

Thank you to everyone that has replied, I have decided against this Leo, I'm a geek when it comes to pets and research and like to no as much as I can before getting a new pet and just don't feel I no enough about them etc so I'm going to stick with what I no and am looking for a horsefields.