Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Having moved house late on in the summer last year I had very little time to sort out anything for the torts so bought a round Keter tub (£37 in B&Q) and half filled it with topsoil and left one panel off when assembling it so they could go in and out when they wanted to. This was placed in the greenhouse. I had a weather station sensor in the tub so I knew what the temps were in there from my house. The torts went in there and buried themselves about mid October. I then bought some Celotex insulation sheets and cut them to fit round the tub like a rectangular box and for added insulation I had a couple of £5 duvets over the top of that. Despite minus 5 temps at times the temp in there did not vary much, it was always above 5 but below 10 even when it was warmer in there.
In recent days it was 45c in the greenhouse but only 11c in the tub. Yesterday I had a look in and dug a bit of soil away and found them both and after leaving the lid off for about 20 minutes their heads popped out

Alan really interesting. I have no idea what the keter tub is so will look at next time I am in B&Q. Would love to see a photo sometime.

Really pleased to read what you did as wondered if I was a bit mad in my ideas. I was surprised at how stable the temperatures were so again interesting to read about your experience.

It has given more confidence for later this year.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

This is it, it's big enough for 2 torts to bury in. I paid £37 but see they are £20 now and £44 in Homebase http://www.diy.com/departments/elsa-...1351161_BQ.prd

it looks like a complete tub but it's made up of individual panels that just click together, You can leave one panel out for an entrance. They are very sturdy.

Celotex sheets were quite expensive at £36 for a 8ft x 4ft x 3 inches thick that's 2400 x 1200 x 75mm or thereabouts. They come in 2 inch (50mm) thickness too. B&Q have smaller bits of about 4ft x2ft x 2 inches for about £7. I'm going to make a better thing for next year.

Last edited by Alan1; 10-03-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

I like this Alan ! I am fed up of hibernating them in straw and they bury down and then pop up naturally but the straw goes everywhere. what a treat ! I suppose you can even cut holes in the side or a gap in the tub so the area is bigger into another bit. I like it, great idea , CB
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thanks Alan - good price at the moment. I will probably buy one while they are on offer as I can think of other uses too.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #15
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

That B&Q site appears to sometimes say not in stock depending on what you click on. If you simply put in your postcode and search the check stock thing then it says not stocked but if you choose click and collect then search stock it shows as being in stock (for all the ones in my area anyway). I have not seen them on display any more in B&Q but might can buy them by click + collect.

Also, one of my torts had moved a bit in there, it hadn't come out the tub but moved within the soil further over than where it had originally gone down. I wouldn't be keen on the fridge method knowing that they wouldn't be able to move in the box they were in within a fridge.

I think next year I will place insulation under the tub or whatever container I use as well as around it and on top

Last edited by Alan1; 11-03-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #16
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
That B&Q site appears to sometimes say not in stock depending on what you click on. If you simply put in your postcode and search the check stock thing then it says not stocked but if you choose click and collect then search stock it shows as being in stock (for all the ones in my area anyway). I have not seen them on display any more in B&Q but might can buy them by click + collect.

Also, one of my torts had moved a bit in there, it hadn't come out the tub but moved within the soil further over than where it had originally gone down. I wouldn't be keen on the fridge method knowing that they wouldn't be able to move in the box they were in within a fridge.

I think next year I will place insulation under the tub or whatever container I use as well as around it and on top
Yes I think under is a good idea. I was aware that concrete was an issue with the cold for my poultry, hence loft planks and then the eco thermo blocks

Like you I thought the fridge method or box could prevent movement.

I do hope some other ideas will get posted for next hibernation;
Old 13-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have bought another tub from B&Q for £20 via that link for click and collect after 1pm tomorrow so will see if it really is in stock or if they come up with some excuse that it's not available. Had a confirmation email and text and they took card payment but that may still mean nothing. I don't know why I'm even buying another one
Old 13-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #18
Jan W
Sub Adult

Buying another one - because it is a really good idea!
Old 14-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #19
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

here's some photos of it. I find photobucket horrendous to use now as it's always crashing but managed to get them on at 3rd attempt

Old 14-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

like it a lot, what a simple idea too. thanks for photos.

photo muckit is a night mare I agree, I have to right click and click refresh and it does seem to rally. I might try and join another if its simple enough, CB