Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 27-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default A few pictures

Torts general https://imgur.com/a/v4GsXAr

General https://imgur.com/a/2FvXjsk

Last edited by burnt toast; 27-03-2020 at 09:39 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I struggle terribly with blooming Imgur, I dont think im saving the pictures to my area? But hopefully you can see these (in my flintstone fashion)
Old 27-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Nice photos, Lynn.
You have lovely torts and I like the different outside enclosures. Good idea to have the hanging baskets to grow weeds on the sides of them.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I planned to explain (but took soo long to sort uploading)
I planted a lot of seeds in my small hermanns area, can you see it gradually turning green?

The margie girl area... Tried for years to cure the flooding, but trying a new tactic this year. Dug holes two foot+ deep, wide & made underground pools! With plastic racks sat on top of breeze blocks (to hold flood water!) & all around the hole.. More racks then big pieces of slate, to stop the small stuff falling through & blocking holes, flooding seems to have stopped, fingers crossed

Last edited by burnt toast; 27-03-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 28-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Yvonne G
Hatched

I really like that idea of hanging the planters from the inside of the fence. You could plant some squash or something edible that trails down into the enclosure for them to snack on. Your tortoises look great! Thanks for that idea!!!
Old 28-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

mmm it must be night time there as they are all black....You don't have goo dluck with Imgur - does it do same as desktop ? copy large and paste? as in not hyperlink..CB
Old 28-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

The wall baskets are very handy. My garden is on two levels, the raised half is for hermanns with horsfields having a corner with a wall all round. Cant believe I never thought of it before but a few years ago i put troughs & pots all along top of wall. Wonderful to stop the torts, eating everything down to the roots!

A great one being trailing nasturtium, cheap as chips from Lidl, place was like a jungle!

I think those baskets were window ones. I have half baskets on far fence in Hermanns gardens & grow tumbling things so they eat what they can reach & i pass them anything that grows upwards!
Old 28-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

My garden has, been like steptoes yard! I seeded quite a few gardens. The one i seeded in October is amazing! I didn't have to water it once. Think it rained every single day!
The other gardens are just behind. I put cloches, old greenhouse windows, bits of plastic! Leaned up against the low, fences, Clear plastic boxes, anything to offer some protection as they sprouted, it seems to have worked.
Old 29-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
My garden has, been like steptoes yard! I seeded quite a few gardens. The one i seeded in October is amazing! I didn't have to water it once. Think it rained every single day!
The other gardens are just behind. I put cloches, old greenhouse windows, bits of plastic! Leaned up against the low, fences, Clear plastic boxes, anything to offer some protection as they sprouted, it seems to have worked.
Its always better to sow seeds for torts in the Autumn, plenty of weeds for the Spring:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Its always better to sow seeds for torts in the Autumn, plenty of weeds for the Spring:0)
I agree. I literally chuck seeds in the enclosures and the weed patch and leave them to it. There’s usually a nice forest in the spring for them to munch through.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote