Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 15-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Ben
Egg

Default "Redfoots"

Hi Folks,
Just joined this fantastic forum, I am thinking of buying a "Redfoot" Adult aged Ten Years
( Male) got to say first of all i do have experience with Torts , have kept Hermans some
years back, and can remember the bad days when they where imported in those vast numbers
glad to see that things are better now!! but you still have to be carefull i guess, any thing i should look
out for !! or ask the seller never kept Redfoots but i have been doing some home work on them.
Regards
Ben.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hello and welcome i keep a group of red foots i have 2 adult females, 1 adult male and 2 sub adults. They are stunning tortoises. Mine are kept on about 3 foot of top soil with childrens play bark on top and they are kept in the garage humidity is kept to about 80%-90% by spraying the substrate daily (i use a hose as i have a huge area to cover).

My diet consists of weeds in the summer and in the winter when less weeds are about i feed 40% fruit 60% weeds/lettuce/greens etc and treats of boiled chicken and mushroom.

Lighting not too much UVB for these guys as it can hurt their eyes, in the wild they live on the forest floor where they would only come across pockets of sun. So mine get about 4-5 hours a day.

Where are you planning to get your male from? Please don't get one from a pet shop.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Ben
Egg

Hello Sarah,
Thank you for reply Sarah, First of all I do know what you mean about getting one from a pet
store......Not a good idea Sarah and i do agree with you , in fact the "Redfoot" i am having is from
someone who has had him for 6years, asked loads of questions and checked him out carefully
(I say him) not sure but very colourfull so my guess he is a male!! Its not straight out of the wild
or imported , but has in fact been captive bred in this country, i would say he is about 9" in size
very active and eating well, the person who is selling him feed him by all acounts, a varied diet
friut , veg, and some animal protien also i asked if he gave him (Calcium powder) as i myself do know
how important this is for the Shell/Bones, also asked if i could have him( Vet Checked) which of course
i paid for No Problems and a healthy Redfoot by all acounts. I have left a deposit on him and will pick
him up in a couple of weeks Sarah , gives me time to get a proper set up for this guy.
I think i have checked out most things , if you can add any other info then please do.
But got to say he does look very healthy Sarah.
Regards
Ben
Old 16-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Ben
Egg

Hi Sarah,
Forgot to ask are those "Guys" SOMETHING i have heard about subject to " Lumpy Shell or Pyramid Shell"
think i am correct in saying it can happen, with a bad diet.....To much Protien!!! not sure though would this be
right!!
Ben.
Old 16-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Like all tortoises kept on a bad diet for a long time and pyramiding happens. My two sub adults are rescues and have very lumpy shells but since they have been with me, kept in the corret environment, diet, suppliements etc their new growth is very smooth.

Here are some pictures of my reds

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
aprillinda

hi ben

a big welcome from me

another red keeper they are a great tort to keep

do you have a picture of the tort you are getting

here are mine they are 10 months and very smooth they are captive uk bred and came from a highly respected uk breeder

Old 16-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Ben
Egg

Hi Sarah,
Thankyou for posting those Pics........"Fantastic" Yes Indeed those lumpy shells...The guy i am getting to be honest
does not have ( Lets Say) a perfect smooth shell!!! But its not in my opinion very lumpy hard to explain ( Pic would confirm)
the person who is selling him assured me that the Redfoot had been given the best care and diet.( Got to say i have no reason to doubt this his other livestock was in very clean and ideal conditions ( He bred Snakes and Bearded Dragons)
snakes not my thing if you know what i mean!! Glad to hear this can be sorted with a proper diet!! also got to say
it was one of my concerns........But this redfoot looks to be fine.
Ben
Old 16-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Ben
Egg

Hi Aprillinda,
Thankyou for the warm welcome, and also for posting those Pics, I have no Pics at the moment but will post soon
as i can , getting him in a couple of weeks time, making sure i get the best home for him, tort table !! best way to
go.
Regards
Ben.
Old 16-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Ben
Egg

Hi Folks,
Just like to thank everyone for the help on this Forum, a special thanks to Darren it was a pleasure to
read those PMs you sent me so very helpful, i am delighted to be a member of this Forum, i am sure i will learn so much
about our " Shelled Warriors"
Ben .
Old 16-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
aprillinda

ben

thats so nice of you to comment so positively about the forum

we hope you will become a full active member and are very pleased you found us