Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi again. Yes its much colder at ground level and there is often a draft. This possibly explains your problem. You didn't plan to hibernate this tortoise. To be honest my advice is to use a table or something, get the tort up off the floor and provide plenty of heat and light.

If the background temperature is 20c then you will have no problem getting a hotspot of 32c under a halogen bulb.

Low temps overnight and feeble daytime temperatures are telling your tortoise it will be winter soon.

It's just my opinion but I think hibernation by accident is risky. I like to have complete control over temperature and daylenght.

I agree with Jonathon, and you need to get the enclosure off the ground. And add extra ordinary light. This can be a desk lamp or the like just over the enclosure.
You really do need to get the husbandry right before thinking of hibernation this year. And get yourself and the tortoise adjusted to the new home. And think about hibernation next year:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
AmySylvia
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I agree with Jonathon, and you need to get the enclosure off the ground. And add extra ordinary light. This can be a desk lamp or the like just over the enclosure.
You really do need to get the husbandry right before thinking of hibernation this year. And get yourself and the tortoise adjusted to the new home. And think about hibernation next year:0)

Great! Thanks for the advice everyone! I’ll make these changes
AmySylvia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hibernating