Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 23-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Ludrup
Egg

Default Small cold frame

Just came across this cold frame. Suitable for the smaller enclosure?

https://www.greenfingers.com/product...&pf_id=LS6554D
Ludrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludrup View Post

This would be fine, it would need to be anchored down, as they are quite light. And an entrance cut somewhere along the bottom edge to allow the tortoise to come and go as they please:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludrup View Post

Be aware that because these are small the slant on them is restricted and rain water pools on the top then slips through the sides of the wood. (see how the lip of wood sits proud). I bought one for £9.99 exactly the same (so shop around), filled in the bottom and cut a hole in the front and they are excellent value but not weather proof - the lid can flip up in the wind also exposing the inside so need to pin that down also and the whole thing as mentioned.

If you can go bigger then the wooden doubles (favourite ) or larger singles are brilliant and much more sturdy and durable. I put their actual house underneath and it allows a 'indoor' area also. I am a fan of the small pop up plastic cloche (which looks good value on the site you suggest) and they usually last a good couple of summers , plants/weeds grow under also, CB
Old 24-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

re my post above, just reviewed your thread and lovely enclosure - go bigger if can you won't be disappointed - the double would be superb in that enclosure. If too expensive wait around as prices drop. after summer for obvious reasons. worse buying time !!! I bought one of the polycarbonate doubles (blooming huge ) for much less than half that price of £86??. And I bought a glass double (beautiful but would not recommend). The wooden doubles are the best in my opinion and cheaper. Both sides open up easily also for ventilation and you can place the 'lids' in all sorts of angles. CB
Old 24-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

not sure if this is a very good picky of one but this was one of my emergency areas which I am developing into a hot house area but it shows the double cloche and the front pushed back over the 'back lid' they are so versatile. I can just open the top up a tad if I want to keep the rain out or open up both for ventilation and making sure torty gets some UVA/B.

Old 24-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
re my post above, just reviewed your thread and lovely enclosure - go bigger if can you won't be disappointed - the double would be superb in that enclosure. If too expensive wait around as prices drop. after summer for obvious reasons. worse buying time !!! I bought one of the polycarbonate doubles (blooming huge ) for much less than half that price of £86??. And I bought a glass double (beautiful but would not recommend). The wooden doubles are the best in my opinion and cheaper. Both sides open up easily also for ventilation and you can place the 'lids' in all sorts of angles. CB
Just out of interest Clare why wouldn't you recommend glass ones?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

mmmm theres a thing -just my own personal view

1) they are heavy and can not be moved so easily
2) the glass isn't as retractable and moveable as wooden ones (ie wont double over only moves outwards and upwards)
3) the glass is heavy and when open on vents the surface area is weighty - ie could easily come down heavy in a wind and crack if not secured hard - which then makes undoing it harder
4) tortoise can see out so need to place wood around the sides
5) can be overpriced for what they are
6) I punctured my leg on the edge (metal part and my leg gave way before the glass and metal did) and nearly had to go to A&E. The wooden one would have just budged !
7) you need to add height to it so torty can get in - either on bricks - which then I couldn't lean in enough to help lift tortoise out
8) so I opted for taking a pane out for an entrance - which looks brilliant but it has made the structure weaker all round.

On a good note : -

They look really good
retain the heat and heat up quick
last forever

CB
Old 25-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:

2) the glass isn't as retractable and moveable as wooden ones (ie wont double over only moves outwards and upwards)
3) the glass is heavy and when open on vents the surface area is weighty - ie could easily come down heavy in a wind and crack if not secured hard - which then makes undoing it harder
6) I punctured my leg on the edge (metal part and my leg gave way before the glass and metal did) and nearly had to go to A&E. The wooden one would have just budged !
7) you need to add height to it so torty can get in - either on bricks - which then I couldn't lean in enough to help lift tortoise out
8) so I opted for taking a pane out for an entrance - which looks brilliant but it has made the structure weaker all round.

They look really good
last forever

CB

I have two glass coldframes which work really well. They have sliding lids so dont have to worry about them falling down. They are mounted on breeze blocks with a gap somewhere between them. The weight of the CF helps keep them on the blocks, and gives more depth and the tortoises/box turtles cant see out. So they dont stress. I have had them over twenty years and have got my monies worth with them:0) I prefer them over the plastic CF I also have.
If you are starting out, then well worth paying a little more in the first place, than to have to buy again.
And they do retain heat, as mine are all unheated, and my torts/boxies are out 24/7 this time of the year:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Just out of interest Clare why wouldn't you recommend glass ones?
I must confess that I prefer glass coldframes as they are much more robust that the plastic ones.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:

They look really good
last forever

CB
Thanks Claire I was just being totally nosey! I have a couple of the glass halls jumbo cold frames. Mine are mounted on breeze blocks which I've attached log roll to. My torts seem to really like them but these are not their main homes just somewhere to explore in the garden. If its really hot I slide the tops back & water well inside

I also have a 4 x 2 square type which I picked up for a song! But its tops are broken & have lots of glued on scraps of glass! I did think about keeping the glass sides (to weight it down) & attach lumisol to the tops..but haven't got round to it yet! So its sat at the side of my shed over a weed patch at the moment!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote