Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #31
Janie
Egg

Hello,

I'm new! I have 2 Hermann's from June last year. They are about 4 and called Gertrude and Ermintrude - or the 'The Trudes' as we call them! They are really cute but I spend a lot of time worrying about them. We haven't hibernated them as I was scared they wouldn't wake up but in retrospect might have a go next year.

I have been reading up in the site for a while as there is some good advice out there, so thanks! J x
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #32
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hello Janie - welcome.

I love the names of your torts and look forward to seeing some pictures of them sometime.

I don't know anything about Hermann other than what I have learnt on here, but there will be lots of advice for you.

I was terrified at my first hibernation so I know how you feel. I found it really hard to see them during this time and I was far too cautious in just starting off in a small way and they were 7 when I left them for 8 weeks. After joining this forum it really helped my confidence and I did feel guilty of fussing so much. So, this year I left them from November until beginning of March and they are looking great. Bertie lying in the sun today, but Beatrice staying under a lamp. Both eating well.

It is definitely worth planning early ready for the autumn/winter time.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #33
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie View Post
Hello,

I'm new! I have 2 Hermann's from June last year. They are about 4 and called Gertrude and Ermintrude - or the 'The Trudes' as we call them! They are really cute but I spend a lot of time worrying about them. We haven't hibernated them as I was scared they wouldn't wake up but in retrospect might have a go next year.

I have been reading up in the site for a while as there is some good advice out there, so thanks! J x
Welcome to you and the two Trudes, Janie.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #34
Janie
Egg

Hello,

Thanks for your kind words. One of my goals was that they would spend a lot of time outside but 'up north' just worried about it being a bit chilly. I am in Lancashire by the way. My better half tortoise proofed the garden last year but it just seems too cold for them. He made them an outside house for them to go in the summer they seemed to go in there rather than wander the garden. I have seen that other people have had their torts out already but they seem to have lived in the south. Any guidance appreciated. J x
Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #35
Suze65
Adult

Hello Janie and the Trudes, welcome. I have put one big tort out for a few hours yesterday, in my very sheltered garden, as you have said, in the south. I'm sure it's still too cold in the north just yet. But, get the Trudes a cold frame, as big as you can, they can go out surprisingly early if you've got one of these, it will warm up a treat on a sunny day, and is very useful if we have a bad summer. Also very useful is a hand held laser thermometer gun, from Amazon. You can then gage the temp down on the ground where your torts are, which can be very different from head height .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 10-03-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #36
Janie
Egg

Thanks for the advice. We'll look into the cold frames. I have already purchased the hand held gun to check the temperatures in the pen in the house. What does the temperature need to be for them to go out? Because of work they would need to go out about 8am and would not come in until about 5pm. Also, one of them doesn't seem to be eating - I have offered banana and pear but she doesn't seem interested. They are at the vets next week as I thought it would be good to have them checked over and see what their advice was too. J x
Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #37
Janie
Egg

Just to update, Ermintrude has now eaten something! I've been looking into the cold frames, seem to be some nice ones for around £70. Does anyone have any advice on how to set it up? Should I get my better half to make a door so they can go in and out and will? How do you stop them getting too hot? Sorry for the many questions. J x
Old 11-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #38
CherryBrandy
Adult

Welcome Janie, try keep of the banana and pear as this isn't good food for Hermanns, try more natural food stuffs they could get in the wild, dropped fruits probably do happen but not pears and banana's..... weeds and or florette crispy is ok from supermarkets, lambs lettuce and or rocket. If sheltered in the garden you can probably get away with 10 degrees but think wind chill factor , freezing fog - if a tortoise has low immune they will become ill in those temperature, or stressed but a healthy tortoise, whilst not ideal 10 degrees should be ok , sheltered and under cover...ground soon heats up...ideally 12 degrees and above for active and being able to digest food ....CB
Old 11-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #39
Janie
Egg

Hello, thanks, we don't give them much fruit as someone told me it was bad for them. To be honest, I just needed to see her eat something and didn't care what it was, I just know she usually goes crazy for a bite of banana. I'm currently looking into the cold frames. I think it's a really good idea and want them to be able to go out. Just need to be sure I'm not going to hurt them in anyway temperature wise. J x
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #40
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie View Post
Just to update, Ermintrude has now eaten something! I've been looking into the cold frames, seem to be some nice ones for around £70. Does anyone have any advice on how to set it up? Should I get my better half to make a door so they can go in and out and will? How do you stop them getting too hot? Sorry for the many questions. J x
If you get a wooden one, you can easily cut a hole at one end, this is what I have done, if you get a glass / metal framed one you could stand it on bricks with a gap in the bricks for a door way. All cold frames open on top , to control the heat.

I agree with Clare, keep away from banana and other surgery fruit, it's not good for their digestion.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote