Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 16-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
alley cat
Adult

Default Me rambling on!!

I was reading the thread about Vitashell just now and it has got me thinking!

There are comments in the other thread regarding tortoises in the wild not needing oil on their shells and the need for humidity. It occured to me that there has also recently been mention of split scutes among wild tortoises and also that there are alot of tortoises for sale on sites such as Gumtree and Preloved with awful looking shells, well these are my thoughts....

The way I understand it is that if you get a scute that sticks a bit to another as the tortoise grows this can be helped by moisurising the area to free up the scutes. Wild tortoises probably get a certain amount of natural oils on their shells due to rubbing against plants as they trundle around, now if the tortoise happens to live in a very arid landscape then it is likely the plants will also be of a dry nature so the tortoise may not get much oil being deposited onto it, so do they have badly grown shells? this is where the humidity bit comes in as I have seen people say that lack of humidity shows as bumpy shell growth in tortoises that live in these dry areas, so could it be a combination of the two? is it more one than the other?

Back to the Gumtree and Preloved tortoises...do they look like this due to lack of humidity mainly? if so then they could be in a similar condition health wise to the wild tortoises that are lacking humidity. I realise there are many other factors that would also play a part but tortoises and humidity was not a combination that I would have been aware of in my earlier tortoise keeping days. It also seems to have become much more of an issue since UVB lamps and indoor tables were recommended as part of the keepers kit, instead of keeping them in the garden (which is also not the answer)

We are all striving to grow tortoises with a perfect smooth shell growth and in reality all tortoises do not look like that, many factors affect what the tortoises in the wild end up looking like the same as they do with the ones in captivity.

Have we really improved the outcome for tortoises with the introduction of indoor living and artificial UVB? What will future figures reveal about the tortoises we are caring for now? Will they live longer lives than many that have gone before?
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Sticking scute seams don't usually just happen because of low humidity but from a combination of low humidity and not doing any growing for an extended period of time. Both together don't usually happen in the wild but it's possible.
The problem with lack of humidity in captivity is that small tortoise can dehydrate over night if not humid enough. This does damage to the liver and kidneys and if it happens enough it can compromise these organs and make it so they don't function properly. This makes it hard to take the nutrients needed out of the food received. This in turn would make a good diet inadequate and to low in nutrients needed. This would in turn contribute to the pyramiding.

Danny
Old 16-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
becciwales
Adult

So much to learn!!!

Outdoors wouldn't be as drying as indoors with central heating and aricicial light. BUT air humidity, it's 74-90% humidity in Wales, do the torts, my torts benefit from air humidity in their enclosure? I water the coir, but I worry about pyramiding and causing them harm.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

A drink before bed can't hurt and make sure the spot they sleep is a bit damp.

Danny
Old 16-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
becciwales
Adult

Thank you x

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Sticking scute seams don't usually just happen because of low humidity but from a combination of low humidity and not doing any growing for an extended period of time. Both together don't usually happen in the wild but it's possible.
The problem with lack of humidity in captivity is that small tortoise can dehydrate over night if not humid enough. This does damage to the liver and kidneys and if it happens enough it can compromise these organs and make it so they don't function properly. This makes it hard to take the nutrients needed out of the food received. This in turn would make a good diet inadequate and to low in nutrients needed. This would in turn contribute to the pyramiding.

Danny
With sticking scutes I was meaning more about the lack of natural oils being a problem.

If wild tortoises live in an area with low humidity, they would pesumably have the same issues then that captive table reared ones may have with regard to their Liver and Kidneys and the absorbsion of nutrients?
Old 16-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

I have read about tortoises having slightly bumpy scutes in the wild, ( one persons observation, not a scientific research ) in areas where there seems to be less water to drink, so the amount they have available to drink + humidity + nutrients all goes towards smooth shell growth. Also ( and I'm probably very wrong ) I have read that when the torts in the wild hide under woody shrubs, this constant brushing against the shell also contributes towards smooth shell growth ( maybe that's the oils ) .

Just another point for anyone who still thinks too much food is the problem, just recently my sister in law went on a walking holiday in the southern peloponese, she noticed ( in April) a plentyful supply of " wicked weeds" . So they can eat as much as they like at that time of year, and the temps were warm ( not hot ) and some days quite cool .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
I have read about tortoises having slightly bumpy scutes in the wild, ( one persons observation, not a scientific research ) in areas where there seems to be less water to drink, so the amount they have available to drink + humidity + nutrients all goes towards smooth shell growth. Also ( and I'm probably very wrong ) I have read that when the torts in the wild hide under woody shrubs, this constant brushing against the shell also contributes towards smooth shell growth ( maybe that's the oils ) .

Just another point for anyone who still thinks too much food is the problem, just recently my sister in law went on a walking holiday in the southern peloponese, she noticed ( in April) a plentyful supply of " wicked weeds" . So they can eat as much as they like at that time of year, and the temps were warm ( not hot ) and some days quite cool .
The same works over here for weeds, I always sort of feed up my tortoises from May until around the beginning of August. I sow my seeds in October all over the garden. So they germinate and grow for when my tortoises come out of hibernation. They are sort of over fed, or make pigs of themselves on the weeds. Then in August I have lots of hibiscus flowers and lavvy flowers along with any weeds that are still around. This tends to be less amounts of food. Then at the beginning of September my tortoises have already began to slow down ( you can hardly notice this, but they have) so can come out and graze as they wish, with the odd top up of food now and again. Then as the days get really short, they will be ready for hibernation.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

I would still imagine that because of our higher rainfall through the summer that our weeds and plants would be richer than those in climates where rain is very infrequent through the summer. Weeds might be abundant in the spring but I doubt they be green and fresh for long, whenever we've been to med its been very dry and the plants aren't much more than dried up brownish weeds not the green lush ones we can find most of the year. I don't think we can replicate the natural diet unless we actually live there we all know how quickly our garden plants,grass etc will die if we don't water them if we do have a dry spell well doesn't the med etc have a 'dry spell' most of the summer.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
alley cat
Adult

Might be a silly question but as the plants grow the nutrients are in them, if they get dried up by the sun does that remove the nutrients or just the moisture content of the plant? would it mean that the tortoise just drinks more and rehydrates the plants within its system? a bit like adding boiling water to dried packet foods such as stuffing!?