Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Ludrup
Egg

Default Jackson ratio - to use or not to use??

Hi

Just wanted to ask how people feel about going by the Jackson ratio to let them know whether their torts are ok to hibernate vs. general observation during the year.

I have tended to do both, but this year for some reason the JR is coming up on the underweight side for both of them, yet they have both been feeding well and have put on weight. Although they have lost some of that weight over the past few months. Feel in a bit of a quandary as whether to try them with hibernation and see how they go (as they are used to this) as opposed to skip it for this year.

ANy thoughts?

L
Ludrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

[QUOTE=Ludrup;673214]Hi

Just wanted to ask how people feel about going by the Jackson ratio to let them know whether their torts are ok to hibernate vs. general observation during the year.

I have tended to do both, but this year for some reason the JR is coming up on the underweight side for both of them, yet they have both been feeding well and have put on weight. Although they have lost some of that weight over the past few months. Feel in a bit of a quandary as whether to try them with hibernation and see how they go (as they are used to this) as opposed to skip it for this year.

ANy thoughts?

The Jackson ratio was devised in the 1960's and based on wild caught tortoises which tended to be a different shape to the majority of captive bred tortoises of today it was only ever meant to be a guide. If your tortoises are well and you have had them a while then your gut instinct of whether they are up to hibernation should be fine. Tortoises weights tend to peak in August and start falling off a bit this time of year. Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludrup View Post
Hi

ANy thoughts?

L
As Mary said, the JR was designed as a guide not set in stone. If you have had your tortoises a while, got to know them and their habits, feeding etc. Then use your knowledge of them to allow them to hibernate when they want too. Weight loss from around the end of September onwards is mainly because they are eating less and still moving around.
All but one of my tortoises have buried down in my GH. I have not weighed them for years, other than picking them up (you can feel weight loss) to move them. I know they have been eating well and doing all the things tortoises do. So happy for them to make the choice:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Ludrup
Egg

Thanks for putting my anxieties to rest
Ludrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

As has been said above, it's just a guid, observing your tort, is very important, get to know them and the normal behaviour, years of experience tells me if a tort feels like an empty box or heavy and if I need to weigh them.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote