Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #21
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I've followed a different road to all of you and I have no doubts that for me and my tortoises what I've done is the best given the garden I've got. But I don't disagree with most of what has been written in this thread and before anyone starts to worry I'm not offended in the tiniest bit!

My tortoises have access to 2 expensive uv transmitting coldframes when they are outside. These things were designed for tortoises and are made with plexiglass which is a double-glazed material with 65% uvb transmission.

With the possible exception of a few really wet places in the Lake District I've got the worst weather in the uk for mediterranean reptiles. Also my garden is north facing.

Different ways of doing it work for different people depending on what they have to deal with. I don't think uv transmitting materials should be dismissed out of hand, especially if you've not tried them!

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 25-02-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #22
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
So Daryn, is that normal polycarbonate or the UV transmitting stuff please? (doesn't take much to confuse me!) These are a really good idea

ps Inspired by your budget enclosure you showed us that you made for a friend I have made something! (Me being a woman! With No DIY skills this is quite an achievement!) Its not finished yet but hopefully I am on the final lap. I may even show it you (If im feeling brave, & you promise not to look too closely!!!!)
Oh well done on the build I would love to see it please.

The polycarbonate is the normal stuff I dont think you can get UV transmitting polycarb well I havent come across it yet, its really strong but not cheap. Ive also used old double glazed glas out of the frames from house windows over the top of the wooden frame, again it keeps it very warm but does not allow UV through.

Im using the sunmaster clear polythene this year that is UV transmitting but not bought any yet.

If you look at the link below you will see we had a discussion about this last year page 3 shows you what I eventually found we went with the clear they told us it lets more light in.

Page 2 shows you Alans with the diffused type.

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=daryn

It makes a very cheap warm area for them. Hope this helps

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #23
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I've followed a different road to all of you and I have no doubts that for me and my tortoises what I've done is the best given the garden I've got. But I don't disagree with most of what has been written in this thread and before anyone starts to worry I'm not offended in the tiniest bit!

My tortoises have access to 2 expensive uv transmitting coldframes when they are outside. These things were designed for tortoises and are made with plexiglass which is a double-glazed material with 65% uvb transmission.

With the possible exception of a few really wet places in the Lake District I've got the worst weather in the uk for mediterranean reptiles. Also my garden is north facing.

The advantages of these large coldframes are:

uv tansmitting at the top and sides
good heat insluation and ground retains heat overnight
designed with tortoises in mind
have secure doors and hinged lids
don't cast a huge shade on the outside enclosure (they are 1 metre high)
are water tight allowing electricity to be used without any risk
ideal for using basking lamps with thermostatic controls

What happens is that the lamps kick in early in the day and as soon as the sun (if there is any) hits the coldframes the temperature zooms up and the lamps go off.

The tortoises do go outside a lot including in the rain. They have their own door and quickly get used to the system. But I leave the choice up to them. I don't force them outside simply because I think it's nice enough, as they are the experts on thermo-regulation. I am not a reptile after all.

Nobody knows how much uvb a mediterranean tortoise actually needs for optimal health. Probably they need a burst of it combined with adequate heat at the same time. Where I live the uvb is most intense in May but temperatures at that time of year are very unreliable.

The weather here makes for a very different situation than some of you have. My dad lives in sussex and every time I got there it is amazingly warm and sunny compared to what we get. I'm always loaded down with jumpers and coats that are not needed when I get there!

I'm thinking about building another coldframe and using uvb transmitting sheet material for it, as I need more spaces for my males. I'll probably try something similar to the design which is recommended on the tortoise trust site. If I'm making something I might as well make it with uvb transmitting material.

The electricity bill isn't that high with the coldframes because they are very good at retaining heat because of the glazing material.

I'm not rich and I spend less on other things as a result of what I do with these tortoises but I'm not interested in trying to do it cheaply. I'm lucky in that my partner loves the tortoises too and doesn't mind. We don't run a car as we prefer cycling everywhere.

Different ways of doing it work for different people depending on what they have to deal with. I don't think uv transmitting materials should be dismissed out of hand, especially if you've not tried them!
Nice one I think Ive seen pictures of yours are they the dome shaped houses I might be getting you mixed up with someone else sorry of I am

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #24
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
ohhhh nooooo you wont
Ohhh yes I will all the messing around put to one side for a moment I have never really thought about you poor people who don't live in a bright sunny part of Britain as to how you can keep you tortoises out for long periods of time like we can so maybe your heating boxes and mini cold frames are a good thing.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #25
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
No they don't if it's to hot they hide under plants or dig down maybe I was slightly fabricating the truth as to how long they are up for but it ain't long nothing like my hermans they are on the go all the time they were still out in November with only night time heat.
My hermans too, Jemima is always on the go, once the spring starts, she doesn't stop until end of October / November, the margies are not far behind, but they do tend to droop a bit sooner.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #26
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
Nice one I think Ive seen pictures of yours are they the dome shaped houses I might be getting you mixed up with someone else sorry of I am
Jonathan's cold frames and enclosures are really good.

Old 25-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #27
Suze65
Adult

Jonathan can I ask where did you get these cold frames, or did you make them. I am very intrigued to learn more about the uv transmitting glass and poly stuff. Where do you get it from, can I buy single sheets to fit into my existing cold frames.

Old 25-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #28
CherryBrandy
Adult

oooh where are the dome ones. I love dome anything. They are very attractive. I had 2 new cold frames for Xmas ! not put up yet though. Not sure why its horticultural glass though as seems the same as normal glass. CB
Old 12-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #29
Thelly
Egg

I don't think I will bother with a greenhouse then
Thelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #30
Stellanne
Hatchling

Thelly, I guess it would depend on the size of your garden and what you would use the greenhouse for as well as to house your torts. I bought my greenhouse to house the adult torts during hibernation but use it also as a typical greenhouse. The torts are free to come and go and as has been said, they are usually out in the sun during the summer.

Jonathan I would be interested in knowing where your expensive domes are from. I am always looking for extra hides for my creep x x x xhugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote