Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Daryn
Hatchling

I agree getting them out as much as possible is the best way but I am using the sunmaster clear on my mini warming areas this year instead of the polycarb

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #12
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
I agree getting them out as much as possible is the best way but I am using the sunmaster clear on my mini warming areas this year instead of the polycarb

Im not having a go Daryn that's a nice warm up area but what is the difference between sun master and polycarbonate.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
Daryn
Hatchling

Oh dont worry about that I didnt take it that way. It was just the fact that sunmaster allows natural UV through where as polycarb block's it.

I 100% agree that being outside is the very best way and I try to give her as much as a natural life as possible but I live on the NE coast of England and we dont sometimes get the hot weather as most down south or inland mainly due to wind from the coast but these small warming areas get really hot as they shelter them from the wind and the torte know;s this and uses them alot even if its a hot day I see her sit inside this contraption lol.

So I just thought give her as much uv as possible.

I cannot praise these small warming areas enough, the sun moves around my garden and I have these set up in these different areas.

Old 24-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Ok I think I understand now but as far as I'm concerned as long as a tortoise is outside whether the sun is out or not it will get more uv than it will ever need.
An example of this are my group of horsfields in the winter they are in a fridge for four months and when they go out they might be active for a month on and off and the rest of the time they dig down and hide so where are they getting uv from is the one month they are active enough for them only they know surley.

Last edited by Gordon; 24-02-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #15
Daryn
Hatchling

Yes I know what you mean, I guess its just reading and taking in what others say such as heating, UV and I would rather give them this via being outside as you do or in one of these mini warming areas instead of an artificial uv light inside a house for example and thats not having a dig at anyone

If torte has more than enough she can just walk away in the shade where as in an enclosed area they are limited.

Its not as hard as people think to keep these med tortes if you try to make it as natural as possible as we know but I like little tweaks and experiments every now and then to improve things without using electricity. Im still learning as I go along and enjoy the hobby but no expert

Just for members new to torte keeping my opinion on the best way to keep med species is outside in a large coldframe or greenhouse with heating when needed with open access to the outside. Get them out as much as possible when the weather is good but provide plenty shaded areas and water.

Things dont have to be expensive such as these small warming areas more on this with proof of what they do here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=daryn

I think most keepers agree somewhat along the same lines but this is just my opinion and Im always open to discussions and new techniques but please if anyone disagrees with the way I do things let me know as Im always keen to know why and never take offence its all a learning curve

Old 24-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
Gordon
Adult

Well I'm going to make a few warming boxes and put pollycarb on as I am a tight bugger.
And I just happen to have a load of it.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #17
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Ok I think I understand now but as far as I'm concerned as long as a tortoise is outside whether the sun is out or not it will get more uv than it will ever need.
An example of this are my group of horsfields in the winter they are in a fridge for four months and when they go out they might be active for a month on and off and the rest of the time they dig down and hide so where are they getting uv from is the one month they are active enough for them only they know surley.
That's not much activity, is that the hole year? They don't do much do they!

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #18
Gordon
Adult

No they don't if it's to hot they hide under plants or dig down maybe I was slightly fabricating the truth as to how long they are up for but it ain't long nothing like my hermans they are on the go all the time they were still out in November with only night time heat.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Well I'm going to make a few warming boxes and put pollycarb on as I am a tight bugger.
And I just happen to have a load of it.
ohhhh nooooo you wont

Old 24-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #20
burnt toast
Adult

So Daryn, is that normal polycarbonate or the UV transmitting stuff please? (doesn't take much to confuse me!) These are a really good idea

ps Inspired by your budget enclosure you showed us that you made for a friend I have made something! (Me being a woman! With No DIY skills this is quite an achievement!) Its not finished yet but hopefully I am on the final lap. I may even show it you (If im feeling brave, & you promise not to look too closely!!!!)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote