Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 22-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Finedon
Egg

Smile Hi Everyone

Hi folks

After lots of research and contemplation I have decided to get myself a tortoise. At the age of 47 I should say I am not a first time keeper as I had a tortoise in the 70's. Dread to think now where the poor thing came from. Anyway back to the present. Any advice thankfully received.
Which of the species make the best pets
  • Is it possible to buy the correct species as so many sellers seem to call theirs Horsefields
  • Is it true that Spur thighed are not as active

Thanks in advance for your help

Finedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Hiya,

Every tortoise owner has their opinion about what species makes the best pet, but the most popular breeds I see on here are Horsfield, Spur Thighed and Hermanns which all make good pets.
If lot's of sellers are calling their tortoises Horsfields then that's likely what they are but you can always put a picture on here in the 'identification' page to be sure before you buy one.
I have never heard that spur thighed are not active, I have 2 spur thighed and they are incredibly active. Especially my youngest one Heidi she is like a rocket people laugh when they see her move as shes very fast. And they have lovely little personalities.
But the best thing is to research each breed and decide which one best suits you.

Hope this helps

Emilyjayne2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

All tortoises can be inactive if they not kept at the right temperatures, but it's natural for tortoise to become inactive according to the time of year e.g autumn , if you don't keep them indoors under lights they will start to wind down, in the spring, when they come out of hibernation, they will need extra heat and light until the summer temps improve. If you over winter your tortoise and don't give it enough light and heat, and hours of light, it will be inactive. So that said, look at the different species and think about the size and space you have got, indoor and out, all Med tortoises are good for beginners , Hermans, Horsfield, Iberas, Marginated. Personally I would look for a good breeder, or think about rehoming, from the British Chelonia group or another group.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Finedon
Egg

Thumbs up made my choice

I decided on these two beauties from a breeder recommended by a work colleague. They will have a indoor and weather permitting outdoor life during the good weather. Not decided on names yet as still getting to know them.
Finedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Very nice looking torts, a good choice. Happy tortoise keeping

Old 24-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Just one small thing I would change, if they are still on the substrate in the picture, I would remove the wood chip , they don't need it, they might eat it, just sterilised top soil is best, Wickes is about the best one.