Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #501
^TANK^
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
You have a horsfield tortoise, which is a digging down a long way tortoise. And really needs at least five to six inchs of substrate.
I was not aware that you had two of these enclosures together, which is a much better space. You could try having one with a much deeper substrate so he can dig down in:0)
And your tortoise probably wont get a lot bigger. But being outside this time of the year is far better for him:0)
Natural UV (better than any lights we can provide) and of course the sun:0)
He has 20cm to burrow down in to, about 8 inches.
^TANK^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #502
emma_mcraf
Adult

Wait and see - I bet you’ll find him sat in the bowl like Lord Muck within days!

I agree with Sandy that there’s nothing like being outside for torts when it’s the right time of the year but when they are in tables they need light, UV, a temperature gradient with a heat spot so they can thermoregulate, areas to hide and dig down and a source of water and you seem to be doing the best you can with all that.
We’ll beg to differ on the substrate but I’d guess you can only go so deep because the base of the cage doesn’t look too big and it’d be falling out through the bars.

Keep posting. Be nice to see more of Petrie.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #503
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^TANK^ View Post
Only saw this after I’d posted my reply. Those photos are deceiving!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 24-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #504
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^TANK^ View Post
Sorry it is hard to see from pictures:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #505
burnt toast
Adult

Where did you get the cage please Tank?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #506
^TANK^
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Where did you get the cage please Tank?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303163535867

I bought two from this Ebay seller with free delivery £130 each. There is another place but they want £140 and £30 delivery so avoid them.
^TANK^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #507
CherryBrandy
Adult

Morning Tank, I remember your set up before. looked really good. clever concept putting two together. Having kept Horsfields for well over 25 years and spurs prior to that I would say that substrate will cause problems. It would save you money also it you didn't buy more. Reason being is that he will at some point eat it. Naturally consumed if not intentional. It can't be helped and if he had weed, pooped or it is damp (from under a water bowl for instance) there will be organisms and they will fester inside and the absorbency of the substrate will clean out his insides. If he doesn't eat it it will produce spores which won't be seen by your eye....bit like paper mites are there even if you don't read books. Personally I would try and find something natural - tortoises can't go wrong with natural. I have same problem with soil. I do still use coco soil and dampen it down. But shingle could be used. different substrates to give him a different feel. One thing about Horsfields as you probably know is they need stimulation, lots of places to hide, dig so if its not soil or natural then hidey holes - big climb overs - make him bear grylis of the tortoise world. It's a fantastic model of a set up though. Please do consider two water bowls. Some of my tortoises I have never seen drink in 25 years but they must do otherwise they wouldn't be here - others will dip there heads under for 3 minutes odd. Others sit in them. Tortoises would never set up house without a water source nearby and if he has to wait for his water that can make them a little pacey and anxious and they can clam up with their poops. Good to see the set....little tunnel into the garden next I suspect ! lucky chap CB
Old 14-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #508
StephenDawn
Egg

So its been 9 years since we got izzi and shes just come out of hibernation. This is her 3rd enclosure that i have built my self it is 4.5ftX4.5ft. We use arcadia D3 bulb, pro rep substrate and we normally try to pick her food fresh but shes being a little slow, picky and mopey due to waking up this last week so making it easier for her for a bit with tortoise weetabix . She especially enjoys going to the upstairs bit and doing whatever it is tortoises do and she makes good use of the shade it also provides underneath.
StephenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #509
CherryBrandy
Adult

wow !! loving your set up !!! Izzi is one lucky little tortoise. what brilliant types of walk in areas also - just right - never let a tortoise see too far in front either - loving that thank you ! more photos needed, and from everyone ! CB
Old 14-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #510
emma_mcraf
Adult

Izzi looks like she’s growing nicely. What a beautiful shell she has.
Plenty of boredom breakers in your enclosure. Nice to see. I haven’t ever felt the pro-rep substrate. Is it a sandy one?