Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
08naca1
Egg

Exclamation Musk Turtle Problem

I am the owner of two 5 year old Musk Turltes and i have recently noticed that one of them has very swollen eyes (both eyes). I had read that this could either be a result of water quality or vitamin A deficiency but he is on a supplemented diet which is varied too! I recently tested the water and change it regularly so i dont feel it is related to this.
I have become increasingly concerned that it may be something more sinister as over the last 24 hours he appears to be having difficulty swimming downwards and appears very buoyant. He also is resting for long periods and then swimming very erratically and repeatedly in circles.
I have separated him from the other turtle in a tank with less water so he can get up to the surface and breathe and not injure himself on items in the tank when he swims and spins. He doesnt have any mucus and is not coughing or wheezing but is regularly coming up for air and bending his head in the most bizarre angles!
I am very worried as this hasnt happened before! Hes been to the vet but they suggested that it was simply a vitamin A deficiency however i feel as though it s something more sinister!
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what i should do or what the problem may be!

Many thanks,

Natalie
08naca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I am sorry I have no turtle experience. Hopefully Kirkie will see this or you could send him a private message but you need 5 posts to pm so maybe comment on some other posts?

I have used"turtle eyes " available on line with great success on tortoises. It contains vitamin A. I think they are made by zoomed? Can probably be brought from Amazon or one of the on line pet supplied design as Swell.

I hope he will be OK x
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
08naca1
Egg

Thanks so much for your reply! Im getting another vet to take a look at him today but I will definitely invest in 'turtle eyes' and see if he shows improvement!
Thanks again! X
Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
08naca1
Egg

Exclamation Strange behaviour

I have noticed that he seems to be spinning around in the water upside down as well as tilting his head to the extreme so that its resting on his shell when he comes up for air!
I wondered if this behaviour is typical of sickness or something I should be more concerned about.
He is currently receiving antibiotic treatment to treat a possible RI however there have been no improvements of his symptoms.

Many thanks!

Natalie

Last edited by 08naca1; 12-08-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Are you dry docking him, ie putting him in a dry plastic box under a heat lamp, with space for him to move away from the heat for part of the day? The box must be deep enough so that he can't get out, won't melt, and the lamp must be fixed securely so that it cannot topple over.

Swimming upside down is not a good sign. In between dry docking I would be putting him back overnight into very shallow water. What is the depth of the water he is currently in?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
08naca1
Egg

Hi ClareandCo,

Thanks so much for your reply,
I am not currently dry docking him, he is in shallow water at the moment with plenty of space to get out and dry off easily.
He's in a large box with deep sides so that he can't climb out and the light and heating is far enough away. He has a small dock in there but hasn't wanted to come out onto it very much. Because he's quite weak, the water is just covering his shell (approximately 3/4 inches of water) so he can easily lift his head out of the water to breathe.
The vet suggested reintroducing him into the tank to see if he calms down and his behaviour does improve a little in there.

Many thanks,
Natalie

Tags
musk turtle