Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Annie77
Egg

Default horsfield weighs less this year than last

Hi
My horsfield Irwin is 8 years old and I hibernated him successfully last year for the first time. He lives outdoors fulltime from around april -oct with a heated kennel.

Last year, after a fab summer he weighed 675g before going into his box and lost more or less the normal amount when he woke in late jan. (was then kept inside in a table which he hated)

This summer has been absolutely rubbish and although we have been trying to supplement his normal dandelion/wild flower diet he only weighed 625g today. He has been buried under his large slab in the enclosure for the last 4 weeks. On sunny days I have given him a bath and offered food but generally he just buries himself again.

I should mention that 625g was the weight after the bath. He initially weighed 667g but that probably had a lot to do with all the dirt on him! He also did a poo when he was in the bath.

Should I just let him bury away and stop offering food then hibernate him in his tub in another few weeks?
Annie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hi
Have you ever had him tested for worms.
As for digging down mine always do it over the summer as they don't like it too hot I used to dig them up but don't bother now.
As for the weight my males go up and down quite a bit especially when they are dug in so I wouldn't worry too much but could be worth checking for worms.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote