Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
veggie86
Incubating

Default Oops...might be addicted

Hmm I have read a few times on here that torts are addictive...

As long as they look healthy and happy when I go and meet them next week I will be picking up two friends for Pickles

One a year older than him and believed female, and one a year old. Providing all goes well the older one will be over wintered in the spare table indoors, then can go out into the new tortoise garden with Pickles in the summer. The baby will have a separate garden until she's bigger I think.

Very excited

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Yes, they are very addictive.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Neddy
Sub Adult

Aww how lovely, just make sure you do a quarantine period before you introduce the to Pickle

Last edited by Neddy; 10-11-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
veggie86
Incubating

Yes, they'll all be separate indoors over winter, and providing there are no problems they'll go out into the new outdoor enclosure together next summer

Can't wait to meet them, they look lovely in the photos and they've been bought up well. So hopefully They'll be coming home with us next week

Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Looking forward to seeing photos next week then.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
suttysue
Sub Adult

Yes they are but be careful and sure about the sex of them as 2 boys together can be a disaster as they will fight n fight especially if theirs a female there.
I did what your doing and ended up with 5 males after being told I was getting One male and the rest female.
It broke my heart to part with them, but they where really scrapping so much.
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
veggie86
Incubating

Aww sorry you had to part with yours 5 boys is a lot! The current owner is pretty sure the older one is female. The 1 yr old is obviously too small to tell so it's just fingers crossed...If it comes to it I do have room to house three torts separately, but that would probably be my limit. Hopefully the owner is right about the older one and the little one turns out to be a girl too If they can all get along then they will have a huge outdoor area to roam in.

Pickles is only 3 years old yet so I guess a bit young to be showing aggressive behaviour? He was living with a big group of other hatchlings/juveniles with no problems until we got him in June this year. I might be wrong though, what are other peoples experiences?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

I have four males, three females and a yearling who I suspect is a male.
My three youngest males shared a table until they were two - then they started to get a bit aggressive with one another, so my hubby built three-tier bunk style tables - three separate tables but taking up the floor space of just one.
They all have their own outside enclosures too.
Females share much more easily and although they can display a bit of dominant behaviour, I've not had any problems with my youngest two females sharing a table.
I was prepared to separate my males if necessary and couldn't have bared to part with any of them so separate tables and outside enclosures it was.
Hopefully you'll get the females you're after but if Pickles is 4 years old next summer, he may well be very interested in your new girls, especially if they're definitely female!

Old 11-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
becciwales
Adult

I too am addicted! :-/ I now have 5

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
suttysue
Sub Adult

V
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie86 View Post
Aww sorry you had to part with yours 5 boys is a lot! The current owner is pretty sure the older one is female. The 1 yr old is obviously too small to tell so it's just fingers crossed...If it comes to it I do have room to house three torts separately, but that would probably be my limit. Hopefully the owner is right about the older one and the little one turns out to be a girl too If they can all get along then they will have a huge outdoor area to roam in.

Pickles is only 3 years old yet so I guess a bit young to be showing aggressive behaviour? He was living with a big group of other hatchlings/juveniles with no problems until we got him in June this year. I might be wrong though, what are other peoples experiences?
Sounds ideal, am sure you will enjoy them all .
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote