Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 21-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
romski
Incubating

Default Care sheet for pet shops

A while ago you will all remember that Geomyda linked a care sheet on one of the forums that was produced by an animal supplier. I was really quite cross with the level of ignorance and misrepresentation displayed and thought to do something about it.

I spoke to a number of people and here is where we are.

The link provided gets you to the Devon Tort group page which has caresheets (1&2) that you can down load. Thank you Jenny - a modern progressive tort club.

There will be other sites also. Terrapin-Info has sheets too but they are currently a couple of versions old and Neil is in process of updating.

The care sheet has had several iterations and ideas from some very respected keepers. I have not got their permission to name so I cant yet.

It is hoped that this care sheet will be available and get direct support from the bigger herp societies and I hope also a more professional layout will be offered. It may be printed with fancy ink.

In the meantime this care sheet is quite useable.

I have been to the local Aquarium shop and they took all the sheets I had printed.

I also went to see Blagdon and they too took on the idea and I have sent them the PDF to use.

So go to the link and down load the two PDFs. print on both sides of an A4. Tri-fold and you have it done.

www.thedevontortoisegroup.co.uk

Please feel free to use and repost on other fora so that all the budding crustanaughts have at least some sensible advice to read. If you have real issues with grammer and spelin or even husbandry please PM me as I do want to refine this.

Rom
romski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
romski
Incubating

Default care sheets

Thanks Neil.

The care sheet was put together by myself and all criticism for it comes my way.
I did have observations and advice from the following who should get the compliments as without them it would have been quite different.

Neil Bidle owner of Terrapin-Info.co.uk. Neil started this site years ago and it has become a staple source of proper hobbyist discussion. It has many good care and health sheets.

Paul Eversfield precipitated the discussion after posting an alternative care sheet as an example of how the trade is letting down the public. He has since added to this one and help push the idea along.

Tell Hicks you should all know. He a renown herpetologist and artist. If you dont know of him - shame.

Jo Jeynes is also one of our family and is a moderator on a couple of forums. She and Huw own Realm of Reptiles Coventry. She is one of the most successful current turtle breeders in the UK. The sheet will be used in her shop.

http://www.terrapin-info.co.uk/pdf/romcare1.pdf
http://www.terrapin-info.co.uk/pdf/romcare2.pdf

If you do take a copy of the PDF or printed sheet to a shop then please tell us which shop. It will be a good indication of who we should be supporting.

Thanks
Rom
romski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
TillyTortoise
Adult

I think this is a great idea. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction to help combat the cooter/slider problem we are currently seeing.