Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
2steps
Egg

Default Grasses

My local garden center has some small pots of grasses I thought would be good to grow in my enclosure but I didn't know if they would be safe and couldn't find anything like them on the few safe plant lists I found online. Does anyone know?

Thanks
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
linda
Adult

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...mental+grasses
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Well, redi grass is allowed, but its like dried up grass for burrowing into at night. It isn't for eating, its for comfort, but they are allowed to eat it. Hope this helps, though it isn't very much information. Its all I know
Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

EB, sorry but I think you will find torts can eat dried grasses like readi grass. Some do, some dont. Lily doesnt but has ate a tiny bit when its mixed in with his food.
People use it in amongst their meals, apparently it has good fibre content in it.

As for the other grasses, not sure. I would imagine ok but depends what they are grown in...fertilized soil or something?? I dont have the experience on that to know - I suppose you also dont know what its been treated with. Maybe nothing, but maybe not.

2steps - other forum members will be able to give you a better answer and also correct me if I am inaccurate. Also, Linda has given a link too. Hopefully you will be able to make a good decision.

xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steps View Post
My local garden center has some small pots of grasses I thought would be good to grow in my enclosure but I didn't know if they would be safe and couldn't find anything like them on the few safe plant lists I found online. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Hi, not sure if you mean planting in a table or outside enclosure, if outside i would go for some of the Miscanthus, or Blue Fescue's, or some of the sedges, these grow in some of there natural habitats. Most are OK for planting as shade/hide outs. The ones i would not plant are the Jap one's such as the Hakonechloa's which have become popular in some garden centres, although i have found now't on there toxidity, it is most of there plant's seem to be . And they are not natural grasses to Europe.
Hope this help's.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
2steps
Egg

Thanks the grasses where for growing in the table and are blue fescue and golden and frosted sedge

The garden center haven't used any feed or fertilizers on them but couldn't be sure they hadn't had any on before getting to them
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote