Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 22-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
swad1000
Adult

Not a huge fan of the grey squirell, But you are very lucky to see such a beautiful and rare creature in the wild.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #12
Tappers
Incubating

Lots of work but very rewarding - meet Cyril, he's enjoying a 'soft-release'

Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
Pussygalore
Adult

is that this years, we haven't had any this year yet but had 6 last year, we're on the meon valley squirrel rescue foster parent list so get most of ours through their referrals, it is a very satisfying thing to do, we do ours similar and have an aviary for them before they finally go, just leave the door open, one of ours used the aviary bed for several weeks comming back at night to sleep untill he found the biggest tree near us ( a giant redwood) he's the greediest and is always at the door waiting for his nuts, if the door is open he'll come in and help himself, we lost one of our handrears last year he used to follow hubby everywhere and the people in the main house used to keep a tin of nuts for when he went visiting but sadly he was hit by a delivery van on the drive, he had no fear of vehicles and we think he went over to say hello as he normally did, he was buried in the garden. We are very fortunate in that hubby is caretaker of a house with 90 acres of parkland we live in the grounds hence the easy release just let them go out the door.

Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Tappers
Incubating

Lovely photos, Cyril is one of this years spring babies and seems to be mixing well with my garden squirrels. Sorry to hear about your little fella but five out of six is still a great result
Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #15
Pussygalore
Adult

Poogie the one in the door is the boldest he was a solitary baby a bit older than some of the others and had been brought to someone by their cat, he's on guard duty he won't let the others come in the house, it cost us a fortune in nuts and brazils are a big favourite but luckily the local Holland & Barratt save any broken bags etc for us and the local WI ladies also come around with nuts and tins of dog food for the fox and 6 badgers we also have, the fox has been with us since last spring and is having treatment for mange which is working lovely, shes wild just lives in the garden and has her meals here the badgers were released just before christmas by the leatherhead wildlife sos team, we used to live at Crondall not far from you so I suppose with all the forestry you have near you there must be lots of squirrels. This is Foxy
Old 22-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
DAISY
Adult

When I said normals maybe I should have been more specific I mean the grey ones that visit my garden I personaly would never dream of caging one.
I am fortunate enough though to see our native red squirrel on a regular basis as one of our resturants is situated in land very close to formby nature reserve and they are regular visitors and a few seem to be migrating from the reserve itself.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

I don't think it was you that said you knew someone who keeps them or that you wanted one as a pet, its nice to have them in your garden but that can become a nuisance and will bring all their freinds, they will also damage your plants etc I can't have flowers as they get dug up when the squirrels bury their nuts the badgers dig up the lawn looking for worms and the fox poos everywhere so lucky we don't have any children or are garden proud
Old 22-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #18
bettyboop
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to bettyboop

This is cheeky charlie.

charlie feeds out of our hands and knocks on the patio doors. i only grow sunflowers for charlie.

Old 22-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

seems to be most your squierl pictures....lol ohwell

great pictures, very rare it seems to see them, looks very nic eif not completely natural
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #20
paganlis
Egg

"sorry but the only normal squirrels that I know are kept captive are those that have been hand reared from the wild and for some reason haven't been released, you would need at the very least a very large aviary/enclosure their life is considerably shortened if kept in the house, they are such sociable creatures with their own company that I think it would be very cruel to keep one by itself, as you know we hand rear them but all of ours are released they choose to come back to us for food etc but we would never consider keeping one as a "pet", as adults they can be agressive and do a lot of damage they would wreck a house very quickly, they don't just go to one person or at least ours don't they are equally as freindly to the staff in the main house or anyone who chooses to feed them. The joy and aim of rearing any wild animal is to successfully release it back into the wild not keep it as a pet and if the rearer doesn't live where they can be released then there are plenty of organisations that do have that facility, you do need a lisence to release we get away with it because of where we live."

Well, that's me told then!

Don't worry, I wasn't actually seriously thinking about having one as a pet - I'd say I wanted a polar bear of my own too but I do understand the difference between domestic and wild animals
3 rats - Elphie, Nessa and Melena
2 rabbits - Marlowe and Dylan
3 guinea pigs - Sid, Maxxie and Stan
paganlis is offline   Reply With Quote