Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Greg

I've used a ceramic heat emitter inside a coldframe but this did tend to use quite a lot of electricity. I think a lot of the heat was lost to the outside.

Gordon, one of our most experienced members, keeps some his tortoises in a large wooden box heated by a tubular heater on a thermostat at night. I haven't got round to it but I'm going to make one of these for mine.

Tubular heaters are cheap to buy and run. They take the edge off the cold.

I keep hermanns and not horsfields but I think we all find the same this time of year. Lower temperature, shorter daylength and even the position of the sun in the sky are picked up by the tortoise and they all point to the same thing.

That's good getting your tort outside, all Med species thrive with access to outside.
Old 30-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #12
Gordon
Adult

I do use a tube heater and it does a good job but it's a big one in a big insulated box.
For one tort you can do the same thing on a smaller scale and you could use either a small tube heater or a ceramic heat emitting bulb .
There is another heat bulb/emitter that I think Jonathan has purchased but not said if it's any good yet but that's probably due to not needing to use it yet.
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/envir...eat-projector/

Last edited by Gordon; 30-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
Jan W
Sub Adult

Mine tend to wander into either the greenhouse or their indoor pen (in a shed). However, the night the temperature was due to drop Beatrice had decided to stay out, so I popped her in the greenhouse. I'm glad I did as it was 5 degrees in the morning at 0700. Just such a drop.

But then I am a fusspot!
Old 30-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Mine tend to wander into either the greenhouse or their indoor pen (in a shed). However, the night the temperature was due to drop Beatrice had decided to stay out, so I popped her in the greenhouse. I'm glad I did as it was 5 degrees in the morning at 0700. Just such a drop.

But then I am a fusspot!
5 degrees is warm for a horsfield Jan I have seen mine out with frost on their backs before.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #15
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
5 degrees is warm for a horsfield Jan I have seen mine out with frost on their backs before.
Oh my goodness!

Perhaps I am still fussing?

I think it is because that is the hibernation temperature.

So, if we have these really cold nights and then warm in the day, will they just warm up and get going?

Does this mean that they cope with the extremes in a 24 hour period?
Old 31-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

You are fussing Jan but that's so sweet and don't be afraid to say so ! Nothing wrong with it. I think if I had elderly Horsfields it may be different but my lot haven't seen a lamp or been indoors in over 25 years. I do keep an eye on them but yes they do cope with extremes but probably not wet extremes. Cold , then hot, warm, cold, they go through it this time of year. there is a view that tortoises should be kept indoors overnight and warmed up before going outdoors but I do prefer the natural wind down as nature intended. Can you imagine all that food stuffs inside them because they are coiffured under a lamp and then dumped in the middle of the lawn because its still August or Sept. Different in spring when they need to get going perhaps and I do bring my spurs and margies in over night under a night light....and what do they do they walk to the end of their tables and wake up in 5 degrees so you can not cater for it...IMO, CB
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #17
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you Gordon and CB - natural it will be then.

I will tell them in the morning - when they eventually get up!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
CherryBrandy
Adult

Bet they have been raging around today Jan. I was wondering whether to go for a walk in the New Forest today but can't be bothered....that's terrible isn't it ! its so blue skies here
Old 02-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #19
Jan W
Sub Adult

Interestingly Bertie on the quiet side and stayed in the greenhouse very happily. Beatrice was back to normal with a huge appetite and late to bed.

You will be pleased to hear just left them to it.

You were right not to venture out, it is the going home that is the problem. Everyone would be on the move on the last weekend of the holidays. Lovely day out and then you would be stuck in traffic!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

I know ! its crazy this time of year. Though tonight I was caught unawares as the nights just drew in in no time!! Just been out with a torch checking for diggers and hidey holers CB