Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 10-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Sulkys'Dad
Egg

Default Feeding Sulcata Grass in Winter

Last summer I started growing my own grass mixes pretty successfully. My Sulky loved it so getting the 70% grass into his diet wasn't a problem.

Then comes Winter. I'm having some success growing in window boxes but I won't be able to get the quantity required.

I came across forum discussions surrounding readi-grass which I hadn't heard of and wondered if this would be suitable? By all accounts it looks to be the perfect solution for winter and possibly all year round. Mixed with 30% of other stuff, leaves, weeds etc.

I've also seen graze-on which looks very similar. I read that this is closer to true dried grass as it hasn't had as much put into it. It's cheaper but that's not the most important factor.

I'd like to hear from Sulcata owners who use the grass products and how they get on with it
Sulkys'Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I used it in the sleeping area but must admit my young sully never touched it having said that there are lots that do use it for feed, I used to also feed the Pre Alpine soaked cobs and mine used to eat that with no probs, they are just fiber not a complete food here's a link to where you can buy it and read about them http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page7.htm and don't forget a good quality hay can also be used just make sure its nice and dust free. With any of the graze on products do be carefull to steer clear of anything with addictives and don't forget there are grass cubes again read the lable first. I think grass cubes would need soaking first but wet food doesn't hurt.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 13-01-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Sulkys'Dad
Egg

Thank you for your reply.

I've bought some of the Readigrass Friendly packs for small animals. My Sulky is eating it although not cleaning his bowl as usual I'm still mixing a few leaves etc. in and giving access to water.

It does seem quite sharp but I assume this isn't a problem?

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look but appreciate this isn't a complete solution. if he eats the readigrass that'll be ideal
Old 14-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Sulkys'Dad
Egg

Well, Sulky is eating the grass but apparently a little reluctantly. He's not keen on it dry so I've been soaking a little. He does eat a handful every day but just keeps coming back to it, certainly not enthusiastic.

Really disappointing as hoped this would be just what he needed. I'll persevere as it has to be a better option until the grass starts growing outside again!
Old 14-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
vikki
Hatched

I guess it is a bit like alot of animals - they don't always like what is good for them - my two always leave the plantain and fibrous plants till last and reluctantly eat pre alpin if hungry but wolf down Florette crispy!! At least he is eating some - after such a mild winter (although just noticed where you are so maybe not....) hopefully wont be long until the grass is growing again.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
Tarab
Egg

My Sully would only ever pick it it if it was soaked and sprinkled, all be it in clumps, on other leaves and weeds. The older they get the better they get at eating roughage. Remains to be seen I guess. I'm bringing my sully home after a couple years in foster care (rather that than give her away) and I've ordered some more form Amazon so we shall see
Tarab is offline   Reply With Quote