Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
sandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 11,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Personally I don't tend to worry to much about the food side of things even though I do try and make sure they are empty.
I can't see that a tortoise in the wild will starve itself for three to four weeks they will have a limited amount to eat I'm sure but if it gets warm enough to eat I'm sure they will and then if the temp drop again being a reptile they will sleep again.
It's the same with tortoises that are carrying eggs some people say don't hibernate them but mine have hibernated with eggs and as soon as awake they tend to get rid of them again I'm sure this happens in the wild.
I think a lot of the information we tend to think as gospel is very outdated hence we tend to get an awful lot of people that are to frightened to hibernate.

These are my thoughts please don't shoot me.
I agree Gordon.
I have not worried about egg laying as mine too will lay when they get up.
As for eating, mine start to slow down their eating themselves from around late August. If more actually watched their tortoises over a few years they can see for themselves. Although experience does help:0)
__________________
< > 60+, keeping ibera, graeca and box turtles
\0/
/_\

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
Gordon
Senior Member
Adult
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I agree Gordon.
I have not worried about egg laying as mine too will lay when they get up.
As for eating, mine start to slow down their eating themselves from around late August. If more actually watched their tortoises over a few years they can see for themselves. Although experience does help:0)
One thing that does puzzle me is any eggs I have ever had have always been infertile.
So are they fertile before they hibernate and loose the fertility over hibernation or something else as I can't see any reason that a fertile tortoise would use all that energy and calcium to just carry infertile eggs all that time.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
sandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 11,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
One thing that does puzzle me is any eggs I have ever had have always been infertile.
So are they fertile before they hibernate and loose the fertility over hibernation or something else as I can't see any reason that a fertile tortoise would use all that energy and calcium to just carry infertile eggs all that time.
Mine have mostly been fertile when laid after hibernation. Maybe its down to species?
__________________
< > 60+, keeping ibera, graeca and box turtles
\0/
/_\

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #14
Gordon
Senior Member
Adult
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Mine have mostly been fertile when laid after hibernation. Maybe its down to species?
That's a possibility as it's always my thb that do it and seem to cause me more trouble than all my other torts put together
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.