Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 30-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
cove61
Egg

Default plants

i see on some of the tables you have plants on them, are they real or fake, i have now decided to use a large rabbit cage (in case my youngest cocker spaniel decided to try and join any tort that may be there (he's not nasty or anything just wouldnt trust him) it arrived today and looks rather bigger than i expected, as i still have no tort yet i am still looking at stuff to put in to make it look less empty, if i put in fake ones will it try to eat it or will they not bother.
cove61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
veebee
Sub Adult

You can get fake ones from reptile shops, I use one to cover the unsightly wires, but real ones are better inside the enclosure, you can keep them in the pots and change them for variety. You could add a tray of weeds, or a pansy, petunia and cactus's etc, all are safe for them to eat.

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Puncture.uk
Egg

Just to add a note of caution though... Not all species of cacti are safe - the 'Christmas Cactus' (actually a succulant) is poisononous to tortoises and some species like Opuntia Microdasys have real nasty irritant glass-fibre like hairs. These 'hairs' won't give you or your tort a nice time - they are a real, reeeaaal pain to get out!!
I would definately go for real plants / trays of weeds rather than plastic though if you can - I would hate to think what plastic might do to their insides... I'm not sure if they are stupid enough to eat them though?
In my parents garden they have a SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) cable running into their shed and always complained of it looking unsightly against the plants. I got thinking and remembered having some 'real-tree' / 'Supaflauge' gun tape (google it!) - I taped the SWA up with it and it was problem solved (just make sure you dont wack a spade through it after by mistake!!) - Now, maybe you could employ something similar on the ugly wires etc? Just an idea anyway

I would always try and run any cables through PVC conduit/ PVC water pipe if you can - This prevents them getting nibbled and/or prevents UV induced cable break down etc. If you do though only fill the conduit with cables to about 40%-45% capacity else it may get to hot.

Sam
Puncture.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #4
aprillinda

what is uv induced cable break plase

linda
Old 01-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
Puncture.uk
Egg

It is where exposure to UV radiation from the sun breaks down (cracks or makes brittle etc) the flex / cable's outer PVC sheath. This could lead to short-circuits, earth-leakage or fires etc etc. Also, the conduit / pipe (make sure it IS PVC AND NOT METAL!) keeps the cables from getting to hot in the sun (the hotter it gets = the more electrical resistance = possible failure of the appliance)

And besides all of the boring electrical mumbo-jumbo above, I think it makes everything look a lot neater!
Puncture.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
aprillinda

thanks puncture

i am still learning

much appreciated

linda x