Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Jane91
Egg

Default Newbie- Help Required

HI,
This is a repeat request for information on Tortoise's, I seem to have aquired one and ive never had one before. I need all the help i can get, Houseing, Food etc
Jane91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Right housing should be a tortoise table or a simple storage tub. Lighting should be either a 60w spot bulb (from B&Q)and a uvb strip (brought from any good reptile shop) or a trex bulb (look in where to buy bargains).

Food should be weeds, on the food should be calcium every day and vitamins 3-4 times a week.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
nina
Adult

What kind of tortoise do you have? Some good sites to look at for information on care, housing, diet, etc. are:

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/index.htm
(this is a downloadable, printable guide to keeping mediterranean torts)

http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/

and
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/
Best of luck in your research, and do post any questions you might have (there are lots of experts on this forum who will be able to answer your questions).

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

Hi Jane

Do you know what kind of Tortoise you have?

Diet and substrate can be quite different depending on what species you have see. If you don't know see if you can get a picture of it and we'll identify it.
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Jane91
Egg

I will have a look and see if i an get a photo, im collecting it tomorrow so ive got my work cut out for me, ive got to build a run and pen and somewhere indoors aswell as outside.

Ant advise
Jane91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

Well, like we say - until we can get a proper ID we can't give specific information. In general though, a diet based around weeds is the best start - dandylions, plantains, etc and you need to suppliment that with calcium - ideally in the form of limestone flour sprinkled lightly on the food. As well as this you need to give the tortoise vitamins. I recommend Nutrobal. Mix it with limestone flour in a 7:2 ratio and then sprinkle on the food. A lack of calcium can cause poor or uneven shell growth. Ideally a tortoise's shell should be perfectly smooth without any lumps or bumps. Saying that though a few of the more exotic species have naturally lumpy shells...

Don't feed lettuce, cucumber, tomato or typical household salad etc. These don't provide the necessary nourishment and can be extremely addictive!

As for building an outdoor run... Firstly, be aware that tortoises can be deceptively strong, so all the edges need to be tough. They can also climb incredibly well, scaling vertical walls way higher than them with ease, so make sure they're nice and high. They can also dig tunnels without too much trouble (not all species do this though) so sink the walls into the ground a fair bit. One side should have some kind of a hide or shaded area where the temperature is significantly lower. I would suggest some kind of wire mesh over the enclosure to disuade any cats from getting in, especially if the tortoise is young.

Indoor housing should really be based around a tortoise table. At one end you need heat and UV light (either seperate bulbs - spot and a UV strip light, or a combined bulb, recommended!) and again at the other end a hide. You need to provide access to clean shallow water at all times for drinking and bathing.
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Sarah uses storage tubs successfully they are a great idea for indoors, they are quick to set up and easy to clean too so at least you could use somethong on those lines even if it is temporary if you are planning a tortoise table, and the tubs can also be easily moved out into the sun so you wouldnt have to panic about outdoor enclosure / run either.

Best of both worlds until you think about your set up for your new tortoise.

Good luck with collecting him / her, be sure to get the basics to UV lighting, basking lamp, Nutrobal and calcium / limestone flour, as you probably already know or have got sorted.

Looking forward to seeing pics when you get some.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Well all your tort will need at the moment is the great outside<g>. This is the best UV you can
get. As long as he/she has somewhere to get out of the heat, they will be fine. And getting the
best.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote