Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
julieb33
Egg

Question Rehome - yellow bellied sliders

I urgently need to rehome a pair of Yellow Bellied Sliders but so far have been unsuccessful as I have been told the law has changed regarding this particular type of turtle. Can anyone help please? I really don't want to have them put to sleep...
julieb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Hello Julie not sure where you are located but I have just seen there is a turtle rescue in Kent and the contact details are Michael on 07817459733. A sanctuary is your only option for re-homing them otherwise it is putting them to sleep which you obviously don't want to do. Good luck Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #3
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Appears to be a non-registered charity.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
Appears to be a non-registered charity.
Does it have to be a registered charity as I know this gentleman isn't registered?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Does it have to be a registered charity as I know this gentleman isn't registered?
As I understand it, yes, a registered or recognised rehoming centre. They cannot even pass, say, between keepers of only one or two turtles.

That link you provided - I wonder how on earth he affords to run it? Certainly a lot of turtles per pond. He can't possibly check on them all regularly. I see also there is a £45 charge for each turtle passed to him - that really is 'opening a can of worms' legally.

Last edited by ClareandCo; 11-12-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
As I understand it, yes, a registered or recognised rehoming centre. They cannot even pass, say, between keepers of only one or two turtles.

That link you provided - I wonder how on earth he affords to run it? Certainly a lot of turtles per pond. He can't possibly check on them all regularly. I see also there is a £45 charge for each turtle passed to him - that really is 'opening a can of worms' legally.
I got that link from another tortoise group who have used this chap. All very well only registered sanctuaries but where are they? Would you have any contact details for people?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Quote:

I think this chap and his mother need all the help they can get. They get my thumbs up even if they aren't a registered charity and as for the £45 they deserve every penny.
Where are all the turtle/terapins going if nobody steps up, I can tell you where in lakes and ponds or just dumped wherever.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I think this chap and his mother need all the help they can get. They get my thumbs up even if they aren't a registered charity and as for the £45 they deserve every penny.
Where are all the turtle/terapins going if nobody steps up, I can tell you where in lakes and ponds or just dumped wherever.
Undoubtedly true. We have taken in rehomers without charging, prior to the new legislation I hasten to add, and it is indeed a sorry situation. However, he has to be extremely careful what with charging a fee and also with the new rulings, as does anyone rehoming to him.

Should he have to stop though that is going to be a major problem with that number.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Undoubtedly true. We have taken in rehomers without charging, prior to the new legislation I hasten to add, and it is indeed a sorry situation. However, he has to be extremely careful what with charging a fee and also with the new rulings, as does anyone rehoming to him.

Should he have to stop though that is going to be a major problem with that number.
Terrapins have been a problem for ever sadly as it's not their fault but I keep thinking of them being dumped especially in this very cold weather. Maybe we should start a thread about whether in fact euthanasia is in fact the best answer?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

I wonder what the change in the law is and whether it is primary or secondary legislation.
It seems to me that if there is a change which requires registration of charities onto a central register then there is usually going to be a regulatory body set up who can impose any statutory powers.
To my mind as long as within the legal framework, whether a sanctuary is a registered charity or not (it costs a lot of capital and turnover to be registered) it should be considered where there is a recommendation from a approved or recognised authority.