Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 28-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Default How long should I leave her?

I have one of my females currently nesting. She seems to have dug her nest but there are no signs of any eggs yet. The only problem is is that she's outside and has no heat source. It's pretty chilly to me too but she hasn't shifted. She seems to be stroking her tail with her back legs. I guess if she gets too cold she might just stay where she is rather than move off? Do I need to put her back indoors and she how she goes tomorrow?

This is her first clutch too so it's going to take a long time anyway. I just can't see her managing it at these temperatures.

Helen x
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
summerangel
Hatched

Is there anyway you could rig a heat lamp up for her.

It's blooming freezing outside where I am. Bless her ...
Old 28-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Box girl
Sub Adult

She will not lay without heat so defo heat lamp or bring in. Our redfoots have a habit of doing this in the summer esp when it's raining!

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
She will not lay without heat so defo heat lamp or bring in. Our redfoots have a habit of doing this in the summer esp when it's raining!
I've moved her back indoors. She looked a little relieved. I was surprised she started digging so late in the day, specially with the weather we've had much of the day. My other female laid quite late on Tuesday in the same spot but she's laid many times before whereas this one hasn't.

I may set up an indoor lay box for her tomorrow as the weather isn't meant to be good. She's desperately gravid after a couple of weeks of bashing and bullying all the other torts. But it looks like temps will be higher on Monday so we'll see.

Helen x
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
summerangel
Hatched

Hope she lays for you tomorrow
Old 28-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
kezia911
Hatched

good luck Helen
kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Box girl
Sub Adult

Where are you temps in Glos have been abysmal no chance of getting any torts outside! You might like to give her a warm bath can help keep things moving...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
I've moved her back indoors. She looked a little relieved. I was surprised she started digging so late in the day, specially with the weather we've had much of the day. My other female laid quite late on Tuesday in the same spot but she's laid many times before whereas this one hasn't.

I may set up an indoor lay box for her tomorrow as the weather isn't meant to be good. She's desperately gravid after a couple of weeks of bashing and bullying all the other torts. But it looks like temps will be higher on Monday so we'll see.

Helen x

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote