Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 19-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Terriandlola

Unhappy Not impressed

Ok so i have awoken to a broken bulb! (i use the 2 in one!) however when its switched on it turns on a dull blue colour and when i shake it it doesnt rattle about. This is my 2nd one now in 4 months....... The holder is the 1 which glows in the dark.

The bulbs are about 35 quid each so as you can imagine I am not best pleased.

Anybody got any advice? Has this happened to you? Why is there blue light coming out but no white light?! Could it be the holder??

Thank you

Ps - i unfortunatly bought the newist bulb from pah so this is no reflection on the shelled warriors shop! I love the shop
Old 19-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

They are guaranteed to work for 6 months Terri (I take it that it's a Solarglo since it's from pah). You would need the receipt or proof of purchase though I reckon

Last edited by Alan1; 19-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I think it will be the bulb rather than the holder. try an ordinary ES27 screw in bulb in it to see if it's working. if you haven't got one they are selling low energy ones in Asda at 3 for £1, so basically it would only cost you £1 to test it
Old 19-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

BTW, does the holder suit the bulb? the small one takes up to 100w, the medium up to 150w and the large up to 250w

if your bulb is a 125w solarglo it would need to be the medium or large holder
Old 19-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriandlola View Post
Ok so i have awoken to a broken bulb! (i use the 2 in one!) however when its switched on it turns on a dull blue colour and when i shake it it doesnt rattle about. This is my 2nd one now in 4 months....... The holder is the 1 which glows in the dark.

The bulbs are about 35 quid each so as you can imagine I am not best pleased.

Anybody got any advice? Has this happened to you? Why is there blue light coming out but no white light?! Could it be the holder??

Thank you

Ps - i unfortunatly bought the newist bulb from pah so this is no reflection on the shelled warriors shop! I love the shop

Mines a bit hit and miss, the holders a bit dodgy on mine (I have the same one) if I screw the bulb a bit tighter in the fitting the cable twists around at the top. So there's something loose somewhere I couldn't get it to work at all today either, even after tightening and loosening the bulb. Must be a wire that's come loose now. My husband is going to have a look when he gets home.
Old 19-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

if you hold the ceramic bit when screwing it in it might not happen. I have in the past (with a mega ray) had to raise the little copper bit in the holder slightly with a screwdriver to get a better contact. MAKE SURE IT IS UNPLUGGED IF YOU DO THIS OR YOU WILL BE DEAD IN NO TIME. it would be easy to forget it was on like esp if it wasn't lighting up the bulb
Old 19-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
if you hold the ceramic bit when screwing it in it might not happen. I have in the past (with a mega ray) had to raise the little copper bit in the holder slightly with a screwdriver to get a better contact. MAKE SURE IT IS UNPLUGGED IF YOU DO THIS OR YOU WILL BE DEAD IN NO TIME. it would be easy to forget it was on like esp if it wasn't lighting up the bulb
Ok thanks, I'll show my husband your reply I use a megaray so this could the problem, I shall leave it to Steve though.
Thank you.
Old 19-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
ibizathetort
Adult

Has it been knocked? I think they are very fragile, I had a solarglo 125w and I had to move my torts to my parents for a month and it didn't survive being took down and transported
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Terriandlola

Nope no1 has touched it and its pretty hard to knock it with where it is. Some light defo comes out of it when i switch it on :/

I bought my initial bulb and holder off sw shop so they are defo correct for each other as i got them recommended!

Might have a trip to pah later and hope they say there was a dodgy batch!!

Thanks guys!! X
Old 19-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Blue hue colour coming from a combined bulb does'nt sound good, something's trying to light up like the filament, but not all the bulb, a faulty one.