Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Maddy
Incubating

Default Two deaths

Please, please be kind as I’m distraught, but looking for opinions /answers.
Yesterday I found one of my Ibera dead (8 years old) and just now I’ve found a hermanni dead (5 years old)
They’ve been outside for the past 2 months, fresh water twice a day, bathed, only fed weeds grown by myself and odd bag of salad . They have cold frames, wooden boxes and stone hides as well as hostas, hebes and grasses to hide in. They have calcium and nutrabol a couple of times a week.
They all came out of hibernation fine. They don’t come into contact with each other apart from when they are in separate shoeboxes in the hibernation fridge.
What’s happened? Is it this crazy heat? They have sun in the enclosures in the morning and shade in the afternoon. They’ve all seemed really happy to be out so long.
I’m worried about the others... I’ve fished an odd cat poo out, I’ve dug up foxgloves that were elsewhere in the garden, what has gone wrong?? All others have been bathed and are feeding fine... but I’m terrified...
1 common musk 1 razor back musk
1 Basset Hound
5 cats
4 guinea pigs
3 chickens....and zero money....

Last edited by Maddy; 03-07-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

sorry to read his sad news Maddy

Have you fed them anything not grown in your own garden Maddy? Could something have been sprayed? We're there any symptoms? Frothing mouth etc
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

If you have other torts might be worth having a pm done. (Keep torts in fridge)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Sorry to hear that Maddy. I can't think what the cause might be. Since you have shade plants and hides available and water I don't think this is down to the weather. Overheating can happen but only if there is no escape from the heat.

All seemed fine and then suddenly two died? I'm wondering if it could be some kind of poison. Was there any sign of injury? Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Really sorry to hear that Maddy and it must be very scary for you and upsetting. If there are no obvious signs, and probably the heat doesn't help but can not see that would cause this - in the med temps reach far higher. Some of mine will sit in a 52 degree greenhouse despite shade available, not sustained and as mentioned they can move out of it by choice. As part of a Group of tort lovers , research etc I have seen the end of post mortems and it is usually something from birth, like failing kidneys. What I would say is that if it is congenital then the heat may have just bought on the inevitable, there is no telling. Sorry once again Maddy. It does get better with time. CB
Old 04-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

I have no words of wisdom to add, Maddy, but just wanted to say how very sorry I am. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Really sorry to read such sad news Maddy. Would have to agree with Jonathan that poisoning would seem a likely scenario with two passing so suddenly. Could it be airborne? Neighbours spraying pesticides or painting a fence?

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Maddy I would have a pm done as your torts were not babies.
Normally older torts are so much hardier and can and will eat food items that are toxic with no side effects as long as only occasionally.
One thing that I would suspect is poisoning from slug pellets being used nearby and them being eaten by your torts so maybe discreetly ask neibours if they have put any down.

Last edited by Gordon; 04-07-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Maddy
Incubating

Thank you so much for your replies. I’m no further forward working out what’s happened. Neither of my local vets offer a post mortem service and the city one wants £260 for a “basic” one, unfortunately as I’m going to be off work for 3 months the timing means I can’t pay that much.
The only thing I can think that they’ve been fed differently was some oregano, but they didn’t appear to eat it ( a friend had grown it, organically)
The others are all active, bright eyed and eating well, but the 2 that perished were 24 hours before...
1 common musk 1 razor back musk
1 Basset Hound
5 cats
4 guinea pigs
3 chickens....and zero money....
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

It is never nice and we all have been through it. I never knew what happened to one of mine and it took me a good 18 months and kindness of two people on here to move on a few years ago. I loved her to bits and even now I am welling up. It's all right to be upset but don't do what I did and dwell on the 'why's', it will drive you crazy.

(edited sorry ) - it can be a rat pooped and had eaten rat poison and they picked it up in the weeds, rat dies later out of sight...hundred and one things, oregano wouldn't do it, the simplest answer is the one that is probably the right one - so maybe it is the heat and I suspect they could have had heart attacks, you just can not tell.
I would place a little plant, pebble with a name on it where you can say a little goodbye and you will be able to remember the better times with them without the heartache of all this. CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 05-07-2018 at 02:37 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote