Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 16-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Default Jerry's Enclosure - Update

I did a bit of maintenance on Jerry's enclosure at the weekend.
I decided to convert the hutch section to a coldframe so have added some sunbed grade Perspex.
He only used the hutch section rarely, preferring to sleep in his small coldframe or under the Carex, so I decided that this option would introduce more natural light and heat...I will add a small hide to it this week...Anyway here's a few pics..

The plants have become a bit more established this year..

Jerry lives a pretty much self sufficient life in the summer!..

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 15-06-2018 at 08:55 AM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Keith, it looks brilliant. Lucky Jerry.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

Keith, love your enclosure. I really must sort some more plants, it looks so interesting. I have trouble finding my two now, so will need to lead them to just hide away.

Next year will be further progress for me and working towards their self sufficiency. They do have lots of weeds but I can't resist picking juicy looking ones elsewhere and indeed Beatrice loved the pile of dandelions today.
Old 16-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Stellanne
Hatchling

It looks really good Keith. We had to go the other way. It was so cold in May that David put in a heat lamp to get the babes moving. I think I need interchangeable lids X X X xhugs X X x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Anyfoot
Incubating

Very nice, I need to build something like this for my little ones, thanks for the idea.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Brilliant Keith, thanks so much for sharing. Jerry is very lucky , its like Jurassic park on a smaller scale. It looks like a former guinea pig hutch. I love the idea as it is so secure. Double so with a lock ! didn't you double key your hibernation box also...so he couldn't get at the lemonade at Christmas ?! ( 130 days to go better stock up).
Really nice planting too, I am so boring I stick to dandelions and weed growing. CB
Old 17-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

That's really lovely, some great planting ideas there, thanks for sharing.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Thanks for the comments. I have tried to model this enclosure on the kind of wild habitat I have encountered, and which is shown so well in these photos by Andy Highfield...

It really is amazing how rocky, gravelly and sandy their wild environment is and I think this can be easily overlooked by us.
The Carex type grasses are very prevalent and I would say they are a must-have in any outdoor enclosure. I believe they offer that perfect dappled light/shade mix that tortoises love so much, and a sense of security which is so important with juveniles such as Jerry.
I don't know how long it will be before I sense that Jerry has outgrown this enclosure but I think the rocks and planting offer great interest and many routes and variation for him, currently.
With this enclosure being modular, I suppose I can always add similar enclosures together joined by walkways as he grows.
It is sad that we have to worry about theft of our animals these days and though I don't believe the padlocks will deter a determined thief, they might put off a casual theft..They'd have to make some noise or use wire cutters to get in.
What we can't replicate is the Med's weather, unfortunately. I have a few personal theories regarding this but won't bore you with detail here.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 18-08-2016 at 01:03 PM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

it is lovely Keith. And yes agree, I am always amazed tortoises thrive in those environments and especially desert, but that's why they survived so well I suppose adapting. For me the above is ok for a mountain bike terrain but I wouldn't like that arid look to my lawn ! but I love doing little microclimates for the spur thigh. CB
Old 18-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

I agree regarding the carex and I have them in all the enclosures. They are definitely favourites.
I have some granite in my enclosures but that photo is making me think of getting more limestone chippings to go in again. I used to have a fair bit in the old enclosures but after a year or so they soon got trampled into the topsoil. I'm reluctant to have too many small stones for fear of the females eating them and getting impacted. Hmmm...you've got me thinking now. I reckon a little gravel and some limestone would be worth getting. Thanks for that Keith. It's always good to re-consider things and try to get as natural a habitat as possible in the garden. Some of my females love to dig down in the soil so I couldn't have their enclosures quite as rocky and gravelly as their natural habitat probably is, but it gives me something to work on through the autumn so they have a great enclosure for next year.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote