Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

I could be wrong but I think florrettes is one of the only bagged lettuce that isn't washed in bleached water I sure I read something about that somewhere. We were always lucky in that hubby grew a lot of veg etc and the torts got many of the leaves, they loved raddish and the flowers from cucumber, marrow plants ets and I'm afraid they also got the odd outer greens leaves which I also believe won't harm if fed in moderation. I don't personally think that any safe edible is a no no if its fed sparingley and the torts get a wide variation in their diet, many owners though tend to feed the same things they find easy to buy and thats where the problems start. Many of these extra's would only be around for a few weeks in the summer including the fresh strawberries from the garden I never bought them out of the garden season, my female once found a fallen over ripe fig and the look of sheer pleasure was something to see along with a very sticky face, I'd imagine that they might find things like that in the wild but again it was a one off and didn't do any harm. I never bothered with growing weeds but did grow big bowls of mixed leaves and the seeds came from a company that specializes in old fashioned mixes, these can be cut again and again and they have some lovely mixes, the hatchlings had these if I still had them in the winter along with their weeds/plants. Its far cheaper to grow rather than buy bags of leaves and you know they've not had anything added. Heres the link to the company if anyone is interested
http://www.pennardplants.com/index.php

Last edited by Pussygalore; 14-07-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I could be wrong but I think florrettes is one of the only bagged lettuce that isn't washed in bleached water I sure I read something about that somewhere. We were always lucky in that hubby grew a lot of veg etc and the torts got many of the leaves, they loved raddish and the flowers from cucumber, marrow plants ets and I'm afraid they also got the odd outer greens leaves which I also believe won't harm if fed in moderation. I don't personally think that any safe edible is a no no if its fed sparingley and the torts get a wide variation in their diet, many owners though tend to feed the same things they find easy to buy and thats where the problems start. Many of these extra's would only be around for a few weeks in the summer including the fresh strawberries from the garden I never bought them out of the garden season, my female once found a fallen over ripe fig and the look of sheer pleasure was something to see along with a very sticky face, I'd imagine that they might find things like that in the wild but again it was a one off and didn't do any harm. I never bothered with growing weeds but did grow big bowls of mixed leaves and the seeds came from a company that specializes in old fashioned mixes, these can be cut again and again and they have some lovely mixes, the hatchlings had these if I still had them in the winter along with their weeds/plants. Its far cheaper to grow rather than buy bags of leaves and you know they've not had anything added. Heres the link to the company if anyone is interested
http://www.pennardplants.com/index.php
Any fallen fruit is a natural feeding as they find them only when in season, and not that many. I know my tortoises find the odd strawberry or blackberry fallen from my plants. But I never feed them to the tortoises.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote