Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Wanted

Old 24-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
HerbsParents
Egg

Default Astrochelys radiata (Radiated Tortoise)

Hello all, I have fallen in love with Astrochelys radiata and would love to own a pair in the future. Now I understand in the UK where I am based they are not very common but have read that they may be more readily available in Europe more specifically Germany.

Do people know if this is the case if so do people know any breeders?

Many thanks
HerbsParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
becciwales
Adult

Hi and welcome. I can't answer your question but someone will be along to help soon

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hello and welcome to the forum The radiated are gorgeous, I'm thinking that if you can get them it would probably be at one of the expos - Hamm perhaps. Have you tried a web search - sure I've seen some in the UK but they could be old ads

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Fred123
Hatched

There was a group for sale last year. They were on RFUK, but I think they sold them all. May be worth a search. They are an expensive species to buy.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
HerbsParents
Egg

Thank you replies - it is more of an interest for the future rather than anything too soon unfortunately as will want to own enough space and have everything prepared before hand - I understand they will be quite an expensive species but thinkt hey are just stunning and their situation in the wild is very scary so would love to eventually pick up a hatchling pair - Thought Hamm would be a good bet was just wondering if anyone know of any breeders in europe for tortoises as web search has failed to find any (for me anyway)

Agin cheers for replies - quite funny how first 2 were also located in South wales as my myself, out of curiosity when do you start taking your torts outside? I am currently the proud owner of a 2 year old Testudo Greacea Ibera (spur thighed ) think thats how you spell it and am looking forward to letting him go outside for the first time as only purchased in October
Old 26-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbsParents View Post
Thank you replies - it is more of an interest for the future rather than anything too soon unfortunately as will want to own enough space and have everything prepared before hand - I understand they will be quite an expensive species but thinkt hey are just stunning and their situation in the wild is very scary so would love to eventually pick up a hatchling pair - Thought Hamm would be a good bet was just wondering if anyone know of any breeders in europe for tortoises as web search has failed to find any (for me anyway)

Agin cheers for replies - quite funny how first 2 were also located in South wales as my myself, out of curiosity when do you start taking your torts outside? I am currently the proud owner of a 2 year old Testudo Greacea Ibera (spur thighed ) think thats how you spell it and am looking forward to letting him go outside for the first time as only purchased in October
Just realised - whereabouts in South Wales are you - there are a few of us My Iberias were out for a couple of hours this morning as the weather was reasonable - supposed to be good at the weekend

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #7
becciwales
Adult

Ooh, we're recruiting to our South Wales Army Lynne

Whereabouts are you HerbsParents?

I'm going to make my outdoor enclosure soon. I bought my 1st hatchling last July

Old 27-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
HerbsParents
Egg

We are based currently in Cardiff, Herbert went out for a 5 minute investigation a couple of days ago but will take him out for a bit longer next time I get a chance.
Old 29-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
becciwales
Adult

Ooh not far from us, I'm bridgend

Old 29-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
RosieB
Egg

I go to Hamm but find Radiata are not on open sale there. Many are prebooked and brought to the show for private sale. I know some were brought up to Doncaster earlier this year.
I got mine in Hamm, but it was pre booked.
RosieB is offline   Reply With Quote