Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #31
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree that Suze has summed it up rather well!

But we've enjoyed going off at tangents.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #32
vikki
Hatched

And now we will all be looking forward to hearing your decision at some point in the future Keith!!
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #33
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I wasn't criticizing the book but having not read it asking where his information came from about hatchlings doing better in groups, maybe it says where he got his research from. The only thing I know or thought I knew about hatchlings in the wild is that they dig themselves out of the nest then hide to absorb any egg yolk and get their strength and also to hide from any predator, they then stay in the vicinity of the nest untill confident to leave, never that they seek out each other but might stay together if they find another.
He explains in the book that the young tortoises (babies) are safer in the groups. Because they are small and therefore not as experienced, they are easy targets for a predators. If there is a group, there is always a chance that you (as a member of the group) won't be the unlucky one who is caught, whereas them being separated is more dangerous. With bigger tortoises, they are more experienced in survival and therefore not as vulnerable. (obviously the tortoises are not as clever to reason like that, they do it on instinct)
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #34
Pussygalore
Adult

but if you're a hatchling tort and you come out of the ground, you then quickly make your way to the nearest cover wouldn't the other's all do the same, they aren't seeking out each other but simply end up in the same safe place. They then stay there or nearby untill ready to go off by themselves, they could just as easily make for somewhere else and not meet up, I'd be interested in seeing the sort of place a tort chooses to lay and whether there's lots of cover/hiding places near and what percentage do make it to the same place. If instinct tells you to run and hide I'm sure you're not going to wait and see where your siblings head for nor communicate to each other, I think its just by chance.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote