Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
davidoneill
Egg

Default Bullying

Hi all I've got a bit of a problem with one of my horsfield's. Over the past week I've noticed that Stan has been loosing the scales on his rear leg's. I put this down to him maybe catching him self some where in the enclosure. However today I have seen mable my other tort bitting/pulling at his rear legs. I've decided that I will be splitting them up as I don't want either of them to get badly hurt. The table they are currently in is approximately 6ft long but I am only using half of it as they are only 1yr of age. My plan is to split the table for the time being so they both have 3ft each. My uv is 33 inches long will this be enough to split over both side's of the enclosures ie 16 inches each side or do you think I will require a uv both side's.
Many thanks
Dave
davidoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

I have a table split that is about 6 foot and that what I have, I do have a separate heat source for each side though

Full table un split

Unset up but with divider

Last edited by Merlin M; 08-09-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Dave sorry to hear that, Horsfields are notoriously bitey and once Mable does it she won't stop i'm afraid. I had to rehome one of my boys after 20 years , which was sad and after that the ones left were fine together but it is hit and miss I think sometimes.

I believe it will be enough to split tUV temporarily at this length whilst they grow but I suppose there is a scientific way to measure outage, but can't see it as a problem. CB
Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

It might ease of some if you give them the whole space available. They more space the more chance of getting away from each other. Also breaking up their eye line can help.
Also sometimes they just have to fight until one is alpha male.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

cor loving your set up MerlinM !!

Im just not sure on the space thing. My two ol spurs are fine apart but if papa un even sees banjo (totally get the eye point but on a lawn area that's some times difficult) he will make a bee line and then rams him constantly to the point he had shell rot on target area before he came to me. I suppose what im saying is the alpha male bit just didn't work in this case but have known others ok after a while, but maybe not to do with large open areas.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
alley cat
Adult

I agree with Sandy, a larger area with sight barriers may help, it seems quite young to be getting these issues already! I keep little ones together and have no problems like this, are you restricting food at all?
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I agree with Sandy, a larger area with sight barriers may help, it seems quite young to be getting these issues already! I keep little ones together and have no problems like this, are you restricting food at all?
it is a shame isn't it. My 8 girlies live very nicely together and so did my horsfield boys until one got a lot bigger than the rest, but my spurs who have the entire lawn just don't tolerate each other but I know someone with over 20 and they all get on....another friend ties foam round one of hers' shell who gets rammed and even they live happily together foam and all....CB
Old 09-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
cor loving your set up MerlinM !!
Thanks, it works well for my monsters
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
davidoneill
Egg

Hi all thanks very much for the advice. Today I have opened the table up to give them some more space, also I have added a extra screen so they can't see each other quite as easily and will be adding some sort of planting .
Alley cat I have reduced food down over the past few weeks as they were gaining to much weight and there is no food left on slate when I get home now!!! Could this have something to do with it?
Thanks again for your advice
Dave
davidoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Dave ! if they are Horsfields fooood always has something to do with something in their world! they munch for high heaven, gorge on anything going ! I think Alleycat may have hit on something because mostly the scraps my lot have are over food. bundling each other out the way. are you overwintering? CB