Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

Default a friend for Quinn

I'm considering getting Quinn a friend, one of similair size, so as he is in a 2ftx3ft table i was thinking i would split it in half during the quarantine time before hopefully introducing them to live together. I would use the same basking lamp in the middle and seperate CHE heaters for at night over the winter..........if i used some form of stone/slate as the barrier this would heat up but not be a fire risk?? as Quinn is so little i feel half the table at the moment would be enough space for him. And as he grows i will extend his table and when he/they are big enough i'll get an outdoor enclosure built hopefully.

If getting a second one what else do i need to think about??

*Quarantine 6 months?
Old 29-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

If you want to quarantine a tortoise , I think you would need to keep them in completely separate tables, just incase a new tortoise had a disease like Chelonia herpes . I'm not trying to scare you, but if they are in the same table, divided, any illness could easily be transmitted to Quinn.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

you also have to have enough space for two indoor/outdoor houses should they not get on or one turns out to be the other sex, if you don't have the space then don't get another you may end up having to part with one. The odds of them being the wrong sex or not getting along are probably 50/50
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote